• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A simple network?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newhouse_00

Registered
i dont really know anything about networking but iwant to hook 4 computers togeather and i also want them to share a laser printer (it is using usb) i was wonder what kind of hardware i need to buy

if its important i have 56k modem

thanks

I would suggest a 100mbps Cat5 network
put a network card in each computer - each one is around $10 e.g. a D-link 530TX network card or one by Intel
You need a Hub/Switch, each computer will be connected to this device with a cable from the network card of each computer to this device.
If you want to share a printer just connect it to one of the computers and set it to "enable sharing" or if the printer contains a network card it can be connected directly to a hub/switch with a cat5 cable.
the cables should be straight i.e. not crossovers (same order of colours on each side)
for security you can either put a software firewall such as Zonealarm on the computers or get a Router (quite expensive though).

Back