• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need dial-up help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PDL

I have a Diamond external modem connected to the COM1 port.
It has been working fine for months. Last night I installed another hard drive and changed the jumper setting from single to master on the old drive. The system recognizes the configuration without problems. In fact, I went back to the 'single' setting and still had the following problem.
Now, I get 2 different error messaged when dialing the modem. The first says the network protocol could not be negotiated with the host system(error 650), and the other just says that it was disconnected from the computer I was dialing, but this happens before it finishes the connection.
There is another computer on the same phone line that dials up without problem so it is not the line.
What else would give these errors.

Thanks for the help.

PDL said:
The first says the network protocol could not be negotiated with the host system(error 650

ok, well without knowing your Operating system it made it a bit more of a challenge. Searcing MS Knowledge base under Win2K and Win98, and theres' about 1000 different things it could be.

IMHO I'd nuke TCP/IP and reinstall it. it may require you to reinstall any software from your ISP, but I'd be willing to bet it helps.

Keep us posted.
Frag

Genererally in the PPP settings there is more than 1 configured protocol. For the PPP Adapter you should only have TCP/IP selected and IPX/Netbeui should not.

make sure you dont have 'log onto network' checked. I doubt it that thats the problem but you never know. Also reinstall TCP/Ip.

Back