• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linux on AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Most kernel distros come pre compiled for intel. So I would say most linux installations prob do run better on intel. However, compiling a kernel for AMD is very easy these days. There is no noticable speed difference between the 2

so there are no problems running linux on an AMD box? the CET teacher at my school seemed pretty confident that something he saw on redhats site tole him that there were prolems.

The only problem would be maybe you trying to use it with crap hardware like a crummy chipset, or using lowend hardware with it thats not supported in general, but nothing is intrinsically wrong with running it on an AMD box.

There should be no difference - however it all depends what the kernel was compiled for.

kevmarks: compiled for intel means usually for x86 processors. It will be for 386 upwards and compatible, or in some cases P5 upwards.

i've never had any problems with it. redhat 7.2 for months and its going strong.

as long as its an x86 processor it doesn't matter. anything x86 is either a pentium or a pentium-class processor.

jeff

Jeff Bolton said:
anything x86 is either a pentium or a pentium-class processor.

Apart from 286, 386SX, 386DX, 486SX, 486DX processors, and the AMD and Cyrix equivlents.

In my experience, it doesn't really matter.

Although, I must say it sure is nice and fast with this P4. :)

no probs here, and i compiled the souce kernel my self and i saw a very large perfomance increase. running redhat 7.2 t-bird 900 overclocked, and the only peice of hardware it desnt love on my box is my sidewinder usb joystick.....go figure ;)

well it really doesnt' run any better on amd than typically anything else

however, linux-amd is the true rebel's machine!

scores points in my book, and is better IMHO!

Back