• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

changing popup window sizes...HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rezman5

Whenever I click on a link that opens in a new window, it opens up really tiny. does anyone know where I can set the size so it opens up maximized? This just happened today, all of the sudden when I got home from school :(

You might want to give this a try...

Start IE6, right click any URL and select "Open in a New Window".
Go back to the first IE6 window you opened and close it.
Return to the second window and manually drag it to fill the screen (Do not use the maximize button). Close this second window, using the close box. All IE6 windows should now open maximized.;)

I've had the same problem for a long time, and your method does work, but windows aren't actually maximized, they're just sized to fill the screen. If you accidentally hold down the mouse button as you're trying to close or minimize a window, it'll move and you'll have to do it all over again.

Is there a permenant fix that will make all new windows MAXIMIZED?

You could also give this a try...

Close all windows EXCEPT the one that open "minimized"; right click on your Task Bar, either on the open space on the right or left end (your choice); select "Tile Windows Horizontally" and IE will maximize; close IE. Re-open IE and it will be maximized.

Here's another approach:

Remove any 'Auto-hide' option for the taskbar and while the window is maximized, resize the taskbar then return it to the desired size. This is to try to make Windows re-calculate the window size and boundaries.

If no joy, run regedit and remove these registry key values:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Internet Explorer | Main | window_placement

HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Internet Explorer | Desktop | OldWorkAreas | OldWorkAreaRects

...Then reboot.;)

redduc900 said:
If no joy, run regedit and remove these registry key values:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Internet Explorer | Main | window_placement

HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Internet Explorer | Desktop | OldWorkAreas | OldWorkAreaRects

...Then reboot.;)

I'm not sure if that'll work with Win XP (What with the protection and all. If not, a person'll have to boot into Safe Mode, then remove the entried).

Here goes the restart.

Edit: Noperz. Im'a try Safe mode.

Edit 2: Well... It kinda worked. It achieved it's predetermined goal of removing window position settings, but in doing so reset it to the normal, small size. Oh well, I guess my Maximuze button's still gonna get a workout. =P

Last edited:
this thread needs a BUMP!
my maximize button hurts man! i was just thinking about posting this.
none of the ways mentioned so far work, any more idea's???
-Malakai

Back