• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Motion Detection Software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

There used to a great piece of software called Digital Radar. I understand that it would monitor the input from a video camera and only record images when it detected motion. Unfortunately, Logitech bought the rights to Digital Radar and it is now only available packaged with certain Logitech cameras. Also, it seems that it can only be loaded if a Logitech camera with a USB interface is connected to the computer.

Is there any other similar software available? I have a very small waterproof low light cam monitoring my driveway and front door. I only want to record frames when motion is detected within the field of view of the camera. I have a 1.5Gig machine that mostly just cranks out SETI work units. It would be perfect to also use this machine to monitor the output from the camera in my driveway.

Last weekend some minor (and fortunately mostly harmless) vandalism took place in my neighborhood. It would have been great to have had pictures of the event and the neighbors kids that are at the top of the usual suspects list.

This isn't exactly what you are looking for. It is webcam software that will upload pictures by FTP but it will also record pictures or video to the hardrive and it has motion detection. The cool thing is the motion detection can be manipulated so that only a portion of the view area will set it off. here is the website. http://www.hilo.dk/pryme/

Theres a bit of software which comes with asus graphics cards called "Asus Video Security" you can download it from their ftp (if it's working!). I think it does something very similar to what u want ie detects motion through a video camera......hope it does the job.

MDA

Thanks for the references to Pryme and Asus Video Security.

I just downloaded and tried both. The ASUS product crashes when it loads, probably because I am not using an ASUS graphics card. I tried it on two machines, both running XP, without success.

Pryme loads and does auto capture "snapshots", not video. The problem is that it either continually records frames every few seconds or does not record any. Adjusting the sensitivity for motion detection does not seem to have much effect.

Thanks again for both suggetions.

Didn't realise u were running xp, otherwise i would have mentioned, "it doesn't work on xp" Sorry!!

MDA

Back