• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using 512 under 98SE, what settings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ltww

I've just decided to go back to 98SE, cus I'm just not happy with XP pro. But since I have 512mb mem I was wondering what settings I could use to take advantage of all that ram under 98SE, cus I heard you wouldn't benefit from more than 256 under 98SE. Hasn't MS come out with a fix for this?

If this can't be so my other options are either:

* Going back to XP Pro and lump it!
* Win2k maybe with 98SE on dual

I'm just an avid OC'er who likes every bit of speed he can get, and can do without the thrills. Just want it clean baby!

I also got lower scores in 3DMark using WinXP :(

Last edited:
no dude its anything above 512 that win98se will have problems with. WIn98 sucks at memory managing, when u go over 512 u gotta change something in ur msconfig folder.

peace,
Adam

Windows 98 will suck at manging RAM over 256MB. Try Win2k or persevere with XP. I had a few problems with XP Pro, took me a couple of weeks but now I like it, it works fine.

512 ram

I like you couldn't get 512 ram to work with 98se. I tryed for a long time. I installed Memory Boost Pro and all is well. I'm not sure how it does it but it works good for me.
Mull

Back