• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running out of PCI slots, ISA NIC ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

QSW

I dunno much abt network cards but I only have 4 PCI slots on my P2B-D, so Iwas wondering if using an ISA nic will slow down the system just a tad and will my connection speeds drop?

8bit data path vs. 16bit

in all seriousness, i'd rather either

use a USB NIC...

or use a ISA soundcard and free a PCI slot for a good NIC

I believe there are no 100Mbit cards for the
ISA. So if 10Mbit is good enough, go for it.

I would say go for n2's idea, of swaping the
sound card with an ISA, or even a 56k modem.

I found this Intel Pro 100 TX ISA nic, the tech specs seemed to indicate it is 16bit. It cost $29 and it is not returnable so I want to make sure before buying it.

Link

I tried an old Creative AWE64 in an ISA slot and I can hear the difference between it and my Audigy, that's why I was thinking of sacrificing the PCI nic.

Right now I have 2 scsi cards, Audigy and I want to add a TV tuner/Capture card. USB ports are a bit flaky coz but I may try out a USB nic.

Yeah, USB would probably be the way to go. I only have 3 PCI slots, and they are taken up by am audigy, Geforce 2, and an ATA/100 controller. I put in a 10mbit isa nic, but it sucks. It's especially a pain when i need to transfer files between computers.

I'm thinking of getting a USB nic myself. ISA suck. If you had a couple ISA slots, you could always bridge a few isa nicks, but again, it's ISA. YAY usb

QSW said:
I found this Intel Pro 100 TX ISA nic, the tech specs seemed to indicate it is 16bit. It cost $29 and it is not returnable so I want to make sure before buying it.

Link

I tried an old Creative AWE64 in an ISA slot and I can hear the difference between it and my Audigy, that's why I was thinking of sacrificing the PCI nic.

Right now I have 2 scsi cards, Audigy and I want to add a TV tuner/Capture card. USB ports are a bit flaky coz but I may try out a USB nic.

If it supports 100 Go for it!

QSW said:

I wonder about the two scsi cards. You must have a good amount of stuff runnning to need two of them. And are either or both of them ultrawide? I ask because that may be the answer to your problem. If you are not already on ultrawide, then you can change over for about $50 and recover a PCI slot.

Unfortunately I need both my SCSI cards, one is for raid and the other for legacy devices like older u2w hdds, optical drives and scanner.
I think I will take a risk with the Intel Pro 100 ISA nic. I just hope using the ISA slot not cause any hardware conflicts. Now I have to go read up the bios guide to see which options to turn back on so that the ISA slot will work properly.

ISA are perfect of 56K, they are 16 bit (most of the new ones) which means that hey go half of pci so it shouild be fine. Also you most defenetly never reach full 100Mbps. WHich is 12.5 Mbps. Faster than USB, which is 1.5 MBps. SO go with it.

Back