• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Range

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SRB442

Hi,
I have a wireless network in my house with a SMC barricade wireless router with 3 pc's (2 wireless and 1 wired to the router) and a laptop (Dell Inspiron 8100) with a smc 2632 wireless card. The range is not that great I can't even go outside my house around 50' without looing the signal. I wanted to be able to get out to my shop 100' away and still connect. This is a normal wood construction house and out in the country. Is there anything I can do to increase the range or is there a better card that would have better range?
Thanks Steve

802.11 is a line-of-sight transmission and is fairly limited in range (like any other radio device). Under optimal conditions , you should get as far as you can with a good (2.4Ghz) cordless phone (about 100-150 yards or so). 50 Yards, through buildings, is actually not bad at all.

Some things you can try:

Raise the transmission point.

Move the transmission point to a location with fewer sources of interference between it and the receiving device.

Move other non-essential electronic devices away from the transceivers.

Good luck.

N_D

i'm using Linksys wireless (and wired) network in my home.

i would say in a typical house, 20~40 feets would be the max w/ walls and ceciling!

u could either relocat ur AP to a more center location w/ less walls/ceciling. (that's what i did)

or invest an aftermarket antenna to boost up the singal. (that's what i was gonna do before i relocated my AP) depending on how much u willing to spend. the antenna could give u a nice boost to A LOT of boost (mile!!).

let me know if u need some info 'bout the antenna. i'll post it in here if so. (sorry, too lazy to dig around for the info @ 1am :p )

I should read the questions better first! LOL. I thought he wrote yards!

In perfect conditions, no trees, buildings, power lines, etc., range should be about 100 yds. Most house installs are far from optimal. It sounds like you are getting pretty good range from that, all things considered.

Have you considered running some CAT5e to the shop? You get 100 yards max run (including patch cables) and pretty good connectivity.

After a ton of research, I decided on the Orinoco Wireless Access Point, and till this day, it has not disappointed me. I share my Cable modem with my sister next door (150 ft away thru 2 walls(mine and hers) ) The most important thind that you can do is experiment with the placement of the accesspoint and place it as high as possible and away from other electronic devices. I use a USB client device on her computer, but also used a LONG USB cable(10ft) so that I can place the reciever anywhere needed so that I can get the best signal I can. I get a CONSISTANT excellent signal(5 bars) in her house. I tested it out on my laptop(pentium 166, LOL) and walked around my block (2 tenths of a mile circle) and lost signal only at the furthest corner away from my house. BTW, I tried to use a cheaper card for the PC's that were near the Access Point, but they just didn't like talking to the Orinoco, I called tech support from both companies, and neither could make them work.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Thanks everyone for the great information. I do have the barricade access point on top my tower which is only 24" off the ground. I am going to experiment with placement of the access point. I have a 2.4 wireless phone near the computer and can go at least 2 times possibly 3 times as far out in my yard. SMC suggested checking the firmwear on the access point. Thanks Steve.

I did some experimenting with the wireless card and router. Both have the latest firmware and I moved the router to the top of my computer desk (aprox. 5'). Things I know are if I go outside the signal drops a lot if I close the door behind me I disconnect. I did take my cordless 2.4ghz phone out the shop where I want to take the laptop and no problem making a call. I have contacted SMC and see what they have to say. I may try one of the orinco gold cards to see if it makes a difference. Any other input on this would greatly be appreciated. Steve

Like I said in my post, Orinoco doesn't like to talk to other 802.11b products, I tried, boy I tried, I stayed on with tech support for them to help me, I gave up and brought back the other manufacturer WAP product, Orinoco talks to Orinoco, that's what I learned :)

PS: they see each other, but I could not make them talk the same language :)

You could find an external antenna and modify your product to see if that helps, people have done it, not the most difficult thing in the world, do a google search.

I'm trying to figure out how to get a wireless signal to go 3 miles so I can share off of a friend's RR connection.

It can, but you better be ready to purchase some "extra" equiptment. When I was on the phone for Tech support on my Orinoco WAP, I asked the guy how far can these 802.11b networks really be spread out. He said one of his customers had it 10 miles, (I was like wow). You need to install a BIG tower in your friends back yard so you can see it from your house, depending on where he lives(hills and such), that usually is the bigest obstacle, then you need to install a antenna outside your house( I saw one made from an old pringle can and some parts) so it can be directed specifically at the target, remember, this is all based on line of sight. I was told that there are ISP's in Europe that have deals with local convienence stores so that they can put up a relay station at each one so that they get a big coverage( such as cellular phone are) but towers do not need to be as UGLY as those or as big.

I do a pingles can to pringles can antenna shot over about a mile connection with good singal strength. But if it rains, forget it. The antenna does not have enough db to do much more than that.

However, check out seattle wireless and NYC wireless groups for cheap ways to make high gain antenna's out of discarded dishnetwork antennas.

Back