• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!!! My computer is going crazy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BinarySuperman

man its happening again, and i dont wanna format again, my comp is running slow again, i dont have that many icons in my tray (like 2 icons) and winamp skips songs when i scroll, its come to that, what should i do, what could be causing this?

Look for software called Hurricane, It has things like reverse cache, smart read ahead, and boot accelerator. It works 100% in windows 98, and about 50% on ME. Im running me and I can only run 4 of the 10 things. But, it will let ur computer run about 2x longer without a format. Really nice. They dont sell it any more, so ur gonna hafta look for somewhere to download it.

Well even with all browsers closed, Winamp takes alot of resources, as well as Windows XP, also maybe IE (Assuming you were surfing at the time). I'm guessing that your Winamp is taking CPU Spikes of lots of load. Get a program to check how much memory is being used. See if this happens if you go back at stock.

You should post in the appropriate section...

Yodums

k i ran adaware and this is what it found, which ones shoudl i delete and which should i keep, cause the last time i deleted all of them one of my p2p programs did work...

i think the certain p2p program you speak of uses cydoor and brilliant, keep those and delete everything else. as for your slow computer, have you tried just a defrag? since the problem seems most obvious in winamp, your mp3s might be fragmented all over your drive.

um, delete all the ones on adaware, you dont need any of them, and get go to the norton page, and run the nimda checker...lemmy go get the site...go here, do the two nimda removers

do that, because nimda uses up system resourses, and duplicates every time you restart...or just get norton 2002, and scan it, but norton can fix nimda, it just quarrentines it...so run those two fix tools...cause chances are its that

Regarding the part of Yodums' post mentioning a memory usage program: I use MaxMem available from AnalogX. I think Jon recommended this to me some time ago. Great for seeing exactly how much system memory is in use, and it can clear it out for you. May or may not help with your problem, but it's a handy utility here.

Godfodda said:
Regarding the part of Yodums' post mentioning a memory usage program: I use MaxMem available from AnalogX. I think Jon recommended this to me some time ago. Great for seeing exactly how much system memory is in use, and it can clear it out for you. May or may not help with your problem, but it's a handy utility here.

AnalogX is a good producer. I use AnalogX Proxy for sharing my ISP through a proxy. Its efficent, fast, small and free.

Yodums

Edit: GodFodda: I downloaded the program, looks like a good program. I'll be using it to clear my memory once every 24hours since I barely reboot. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit x 2

I also forgot they had a good internet monitoring your download speed, upload speed, total megs downloaded etc. It's called "NetStat Live"

Yodums

Last edited:
Yodels said:

Edit: GodFodda: I downloaded the program, looks like a good program. I'll be using it to clear my memory once every 24hours since I barely reboot. Thanks for the suggestion.

If you burn CDs and your system behaves like mine, it's very useful. I'm running with 768M and it hits 90+ % use while burning, and then doesn't automatically clear afterwards. Just a click on MaxMem's Aggressive setting and all is well again.

i use freeram xp lite 1.03 and it works great at checking and freeing system resources, im gonna defragment today and i'll see if the problem consists.

BinarySuperSaiyan said:
i use freeram xp lite 1.03 and it works great at checking and freeing system resources, im gonna defragment today and i'll see if the problem consists.

It should help where your HDD might be fragmented as well, so read time will be longer.

Best of luck.

AnalogX = :clap:

Run Adaware and delete everything!

Run your Disk Cleaner! Clear out everything. You probably don't need all those cached internet pages anyway.

When was the last time you defraged? Defraging is important. I can analize my hard drive and see how defraged it is. I do it about every 3-4 weeks.

If you keep up with these things, you don't need to format. ( unless something really bad happens. :cry: )

Good luck.

im gonna format after i get my 40gb 7200 rpm hdd, guys if i have a 7200 rpm hdd and a 5400 rpm hdd which will only be used for mp3's will that slow my comp down, or will i still get the 7200 rpm speeds?

If the 7200 is ATA 100, and the 5400 is only ATA 66, then your 7200 RPM drive will be limited to ATA 66 (assumung they're on the same channel).

Gravity Man said:
If the 7200 is ATA 100, and the 5400 is only ATA 66, then your 7200 RPM drive will be limited to ATA 66 (assumung they're on the same channel).

That's not true at all. You can run different ATA's on one cable as long it's an ATA100 cable.

I run my ATA100 as a master, and my ATA66 as a secondary.

Yodums

Yodums

I meant that when you access the ata66 drive, your speed will be limited to this speed no matter how fast the other one is. Right?

Back