• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WHO uses PCANYWHERE!? remote management question!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h0mersimps0n

Hey guys. Currently I am using WINVNC to remotely connect to all four of my computers in various rooms and various places with and without monitors etc.

The problem has arisen, however, that WINXP works really really terrible with WINVNC mainly with screen freezes (with the connections) and inability to use the mouse. Basically problems I never had under win2k and are so bad under xp I have to make a switch...

OK, so here's my problem. I need a remote program that is:

1.) Not time-consuming to install (i.e. MS services/ webserver/ remote blah blah)

2.) ***CAN BE ACCESSED FROM ANYWHERE WITH A WEB BROWSER*** I don't want to be limited to being able to connect only if the prog is installed on both ends. I want web browser connectivity from anywhere

So my question is, does PCANYWHERE have the nice JAVA applet that WINVNC has that allows the user to connect from any webbrowser from anywhere without having to install software...

thats what I need? Takers? suggestions? thanks guys!!!

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm going to ask you another one. If VNC, which is freeware, did what you wanted under Win2K, why would you want to buy another program just to run under XP? Does WinXP do something that Win2K doesn't? I know if it were me, I'd put Win2K back on those computers and be happy with it.

Just my $0.02.

I haven't tried this yet because TightVNC and PCAnywhere 10.5 suits my needs just fine, it is called RemotelyAnywhere, it's not cheap($100) and is available for Trial here: http://www.remotelyanywhere.com/ , hope this helps you. Here is a snip of what this prog can do:

"RemotelyAnywhere is a small HTTP daemon that must be installed on a Windows NT computer. You can then access that computer over the network via TCP/IP from any other machine capable of running a browser. You'll be able to manage services, processes, users, files. It empowers you with remote control, remote booting, etc. And best of all, you don't need any sort of special client software, apart from a javascript-enabled browser."

"RemotelyAnywhere isn't too picky. All it needs is a Windows box, running Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, NT 3.51 or later. It does not require a web server, since it has its own embedded HTTP server."

Jim

Whoa, whats tightVNC, I just downloaded it and will try it now...

thanks, hehee :)

no pcanywhere users out there?

My dad uses PC anywere at work and he says that he doesnt think that it will work. But that doesn't make it a gurantee.

^^^ See my post above, I do use PC Anywhere and TightVNC, they suit my needs, my answer solved your problem if you chose to download a Trial version of RemotelyAnywhere.

Jim

I have a couple of questions.

1) Are you on a static IP address?
2) Are you running any kind of Win ** Server OS or just the XP?
3) Is is Home XP or XP pro?

Wedo

Vfrjim1 said:
I haven't tried this yet because TightVNC and PCAnywhere 10.5 suits my needs just fine, it is called RemotelyAnywhere, it's not cheap($100) and is available for Trial here: http://www.remotelyanywhere.com/ , hope this helps you. Here is a snip of what this prog can do:

"RemotelyAnywhere is a small HTTP daemon that must be installed on a Windows NT computer. You can then access that computer over the network via TCP/IP from any other machine capable of running a browser. You'll be able to manage services, processes, users, files. It empowers you with remote control, remote booting, etc. And best of all, you don't need any sort of special client software, apart from a javascript-enabled browser."

"RemotelyAnywhere isn't too picky. All it needs is a Windows box, running Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, NT 3.51 or later. It does not require a web server, since it has its own embedded HTTP server."

Jim

I use RemotelyAnywhere and its really really good, just install it on your computer and you can access your computer and also "use your computer" from any other computer

Wedo, I know what your getting at and don't even think of suggesting I use winxp's built-in remote control management. Its lousy because I like to keep logged in while I'm away and if you try to login remotely you can't login/get into the connection if that user is currently logged in and all my programs and game servers close... ****es me off...

As for those other programs you all suggest, all I want to know is how well they work with WINXP. remotelyanywhere looks good but it bothers me that nowhere on the site do I see the words: supports windows xp. Need something dependable and that can connect through any webbrowser anywhere...

thanks guys! keep em coming!

Back