• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arg windows XP device removal help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bantre

Since I installed XP over a month ago, everything has ran real well, or so I assumed.
I hadn't inserted a audio CD yet till last night and thats when I discovered I had a problem.
Media player reports a MCI device ID problem.
Playcenter says to make sure the cdrom is not in use.
Both call for closing running applications cause they are interferring. Problem is I got NO running applications under task manager.
So I went to the next step it suggested and tried to read media control devices and audio Codecs.
Well that didn't work either and now I got multiple audio codecs, and media control devices listed in the system panel.
It does not have a remove or uninstall feature, so I cannot seem to find a way to just remove the devices and reload only one device each again.
You were able to in windows 98se etc, anyone found a way to bypass all this safety junk they throw in?
Oh and I STILL cannot play audio from the CD, however it can see the tracks and it runs other cds( game/software etc) without a hitch:(

you might want to check in the add/remove proggies section of the control panel, sometimes the codecs are in there instead of being listed as devices . . . otherwise just go to the device manager, right-click on your cd-rom and delete it, then reboot; xp will re-install it when it comes back up . . . hope that helps . . .

Tried a million different things, no dice, so I even went as far as ghosting back to march when I installed XP, setup video/sound like it was brand new again. STILL didn't work.
Guess my ole sony drive doesn't support audio in xp:(
Anyone know a really good and supported cd/dvd drive for xp?:)

dumb question, maybe, but did you make sure that your audio cable is plugged in correctly? you know, the one that goes from the cd-rom to your sound card (or mobo for onboard sound) . . . i know quite a few of my cables don't have the little prongs on them, so when i use one of those i always have to make sure to plug them in the right way, and to make sure they're pushed in all the way . . .

Back