• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disabling write cache under Win2K Pro - Permanently.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sangram

Also posted at General Hardware section.

Need some help here:

I need to turn off the write cache in Windows 2K pro. I know for a fact this improves disk performance.

This is done by getting to the properties page for the disk drive, from device manager. Problem is, it switches back to the default the next restart, thus I have to switch it off manually.

Is there anyway I can keep it disabled permanently? I know it is controlled by the Disk manager service (in Services, it's Logical Disk Manager) and I can specify a parameter for the service start. Trouble is, I don't even know the syntax for the command, else I'd give it a shot. I tried touching the service last night and I had to restore in Directory services mode, the system wouldn't boot. I'm scared to touch it now.

Thanks

Sang

Wow. Thanks for the heads-up. The article, though is not very helpful: I guess I'll have to wait for SP3 or pay for support if I want to resolve this immediately.

Thanks a ton.

Sang

what chipset is your mainboard based on? perhaps you can find out some disk utility in the chipset drivers webpage. intel has the accelerator and the ultra-ata driver, they both will disable the write cahce as default, i think vias will too.

The board uses the Via KT266a chipset.

I have the latest 4in1s installed, but the write cache is still enabled.

Thanks for the reply.

Sang

If you hace the Recovery Console installed, you can disable it from there. Just type disable (service), where service is the specified service you want to turn off.

Back