Thread: P4 Celeron?

P4 Celeron?

P4 Celeron

Does anyone know if there will be such a thing and if so, when will it be out?

It will be out within the next few months. It will run on the Socket 478 that the rest of the Pentium 4s are on now. Rumor has it that it will be a Willamette-core P4 with half of its cache disabled, making for 128K L2.
    ASUS P8Z68-V LX ; Core i7-3770K @ 4.3GHz ; 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 ; ZeroTherm ZT-10D ; Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 ; Samsung 830 256GB + 840 EVO 250GB ; Rosewill HIVE-550 ; Windows 7 Ultimate

2005 Kawasaki Z750S | 2011 Kawasaki ZX-6R | 2008 Yamaha WR250X

Originally posted by theflyingrat
    It will be out within the next few months. It will run on the Socket 478 that the rest of the Pentium 4s are on now. Rumor has it that it will be a Willamette-core P4 with half of its cache disabled, making for 128K L2.
    Yes i read that also.

But i cant imagine what kind of performance will they provide, with
    128k L2.

The existing celeron tualatin already perform better than the P4
    Willamette core when o\ced.

?

Pure marketing and cost production reduce?

Probably
    Asus P4C800 Deluxe SL7PN 3.2E@4.8GHZ stable...5.14GHZ Max Post
    Prometeia Cooling - Mach I - R404a

----------------------------------
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D RA.02 // Winie 3500+@2.75GHZ @1.525Volt //ATI X800XL
    ----------------------------------
    Folding for team #13416

www.overclockers.gr

So how does that work? The more L2 the slower ? or Faster ? or less is easyer to OC ?

The thing is that current Willies at the same clockspeed perform too close to the northwood equivalent. Now, because they're both at around the same price it doesn't matter. However later on the celerons will be a lot cheaper and by then it looks a bit more attractive.

I reckon that was the main reason why they cut the cache down to 128K. After all, the northwood is only different in that it has a 512K cache and it overclocks better due to the die shrink. While cache does help performance, it is not *that* significant. Look at Cel-T's and PIII-T's. The main reason for the better performance gap is the FSB.

The more L2 cache the better the performance and benchmarks. I don't think it makes much difference for overclocking abilities. Willamettes ain't all that good. With half the cache, they'll suck.
    2600K, Asus P8P67 Deluxe, 2X2GB G.Skill Pi PC3-2133, PC & Cooling 750W
    watercooled: Eheim 1048 pump, Swiftech Apogee GTX and 2X120mm rad
    FS020 case, OCZ SSD, Sapphire HD 6950, Acer X241W 24" widescreen

But why make a crappier P4 when the ones they have are not that great. They need to spend more time producing faster chips and better componets than junk stuff that no one will want.
    Pick 2: Speed -- Reliability -- Cost

Trouble Shooting 101:
    1. RTFM
    2. Repeat Step 1

6ghz Club Member.

cw823 Fan Club Founding Member, are you?

I think that intel doesnt really care about how well any of its cpu,s will oc. They are only interested in mass production of stock everyday computers. The current celeron-t stock systems are only 1100-1300 @ 100fsb and the first williamette cely is listed to start at 1700@100fsb but better memory performance so it will probably perform about the same or a little better out of the box not oc,ed. Plus all of the willy econo systems will easily be upgraded to P4 norty while the current tuly has no where else to go, its gone as far as its gona go and done a damn good job of it its just outdated.

Originally posted by {PMS}fishy
    But why make a crappier P4 when the ones they have are not that great. They need to spend more time producing faster chips and better componets than junk stuff that no one will want.
    Think of it this way. Who would want a 1.4ghz Duron when they can get a 1.7ghz Celeron in their cheap box?