• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 Celeron?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It will be out within the next few months. It will run on the Socket 478 that the rest of the Pentium 4s are on now. Rumor has it that it will be a Willamette-core P4 with half of its cache disabled, making for 128K L2.

theflyingrat said:
It will be out within the next few months. It will run on the Socket 478 that the rest of the Pentium 4s are on now. Rumor has it that it will be a Willamette-core P4 with half of its cache disabled, making for 128K L2.

Yes i read that also.

But i cant imagine what kind of performance will they provide, with
128k L2.

The existing celeron tualatin already perform better than the P4
Willamette core when o\ced.

?

Pure marketing and cost production reduce?

Probably

So how does that work? The more L2 the slower ? or Faster ? or less is easyer to OC ?

The thing is that current Willies at the same clockspeed perform too close to the northwood equivalent. Now, because they're both at around the same price it doesn't matter. However later on the celerons will be a lot cheaper and by then it looks a bit more attractive.

I reckon that was the main reason why they cut the cache down to 128K. After all, the northwood is only different in that it has a 512K cache and it overclocks better due to the die shrink. While cache does help performance, it is not *that* significant. Look at Cel-T's and PIII-T's. The main reason for the better performance gap is the FSB.

The more L2 cache the better the performance and benchmarks. I don't think it makes much difference for overclocking abilities. Willamettes ain't all that good. With half the cache, they'll suck.

But why make a crappier P4 when the ones they have are not that great. They need to spend more time producing faster chips and better componets than junk stuff that no one will want.

I think that intel doesnt really care about how well any of its cpu,s will oc. They are only interested in mass production of stock everyday computers. The current celeron-t stock systems are only 1100-1300 @ 100fsb and the first williamette cely is listed to start at 1700@100fsb but better memory performance so it will probably perform about the same or a little better out of the box not oc,ed. Plus all of the willy econo systems will easily be upgraded to P4 norty while the current tuly has no where else to go, its gone as far as its gona go and done a damn good job of it its just outdated.

{PMS}fishy said:
But why make a crappier P4 when the ones they have are not that great. They need to spend more time producing faster chips and better componets than junk stuff that no one will want.

Think of it this way. Who would want a 1.4ghz Duron when they can get a 1.7ghz Celeron in their cheap box?

Back