• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two of the same nics in one box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mace

Can you install two of the same network cards in the same box? I am trying to install two Asound Nics into my XP box. I am having troubles installing the drivers for the second card.

i dont see why not

each has its own mac adress

i dont know much about xp though

I don't know about your Nic's, but I could not install identical WinModems before (trying shotgunning). I think it's something to do with using the system resources, that makes it so Windows can't tell them apart. You could try separating them more (eg. using pci #2 and #5)...maybe windows will get a clue then. Check your manual to see which irq's each pci uses, so you can try the two most separated.

For some stupid reason however, you can install the same modem twice, and either instance will work fine....Windows is a virus.:eek:

Diggrr said:
I don't know about your Nic's, but I could not install identical WinModems before (trying shotgunning). I think it's something to do with using the system resources, that makes it so Windows can't tell them apart.

A friend of mine had the same problem trying to set up 2 identical nic's in one machine as a firewall setup. He couldn't get windows to differentiate between the two no matter what he did.

I do this all the time with Linux and have never had a problem.... Never tried it in Winblows though....

my 2 cents would be to go with a quality brand like intel or 3com. it sounds like the asound are too generic.

Yeah, I think I am just going to run to the store pick up another nic. I got these two Asound ones cheep off the net.

Mace said:
Can you install two of the same network cards in the same box? I am trying to install two Asound Nics into my XP box. I am having troubles installing the drivers for the second card.

I have 2 3Com 3C905B's in my XP Box. Works like a champ.

Back