• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win2k Drivers, or the lack thereof

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here is my problem. I have a nice dual system, and would like to run Windows 2000 to take advantage of both procs. The only piece of hardware that does not have drivers for Windows 2000 is my Bravado 2000 video capture card. I have looked all over the internet for drivers and they do not exist. Since this it the card that I use the most, i am forced to use Windows 98 to capture and edit video and Windows 2000 for everything else. This is a less than ideal situation. I was wondering how hard it would be to write Windows 2000 drivers, or to somehow port the 9x drivers into Windows 2000. I know several people who are in the same boat as me, so I will make the drivers public if I write/port them.

I was wondering how hard it would be to write Windows 2000 drivers
Hard. Unless you're an assember/C++ guru and want a challenge :)

For a start you'll need to download the Microsoft Win2k DDK from www.microsoft.com. You'll need a copy of MS Visual C++ 5.0 and you'll also want to buy another machine for development/debugging (otherwise you'll easily screw your O/S if there are any bugs in your driver).

It would be cheaper to just buy another machine for your capture card, or buy a more recent card that supports Win2k.

steve

WinXP does not have drivers, tried that already. I have 3 computers right now, plus enough parts to build 2 more in the "magic parts box" so i might be tempted to try, even though i know very little about programing. I would thing that you might be able to modify the win98 drivers to accept the HAL and it would work, which would be easier than writing new drivers. I could be wrong. I would buy a new card, but I am broke. If you have looked at good capture cards latley, you know that they are expensive :rolleyes: ($500 for a Pinnacle dv500).

Back