• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help needed loading 98

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aces High

Registered
Whats up overclockers,

Not sure if I screwed up or not.I recently found a complete
Gateway 2000 P5-166 XL next to trash can in my building.So far so good
but,(theres always a but).I took the hdd out( wd caviar 2.1gb)put it
in my rig formatted it to fat32 using windows xp.Should I of done this?I put it back in the gateway and tried booting it with win 98
with no luck.I keep getting the same prompt,1.Boot from hard disk 2.
Boot from cd-rom.But when I choose one of the options I get a blank screen with a flashing _ .Is the win 98 a bootable disk?When I formatted the
hdd I did not give the partition a drive letter or path,could that
be the problem?I have also changed a few things with the gateway.
New ps,took out the Intel i166 cpu and put in Intel i200 cpu.Also changed the cables and added some fans:D Everything seems ok just cant get os to load any ideas?Thanx alot in advance.:beer:

Take it easy and if its free take it quick

I've reformatted several times in the 48 hrs. (UGH)

1. Put the boot disk in, reboot system.
2. start sys w/CD support.
3. let it finish.
4. at the "a:\" prompt type Format c:
5. then hit enter, answer all on screen questions. FAT 32 is ok.

It'll take, oh...20 minutes or so, uhh...166 ya say? well maybe 30-45 or minutes.

Good Luck.
:cool:

Good score! Don't forget, you can probably get that thing to run at 400 to 450 with a K6-2. Even if the on board mult is only three, set it to 2, and the K6 sees it as 6.

Last edited:
Yep! I fixed mine, too - no one needs to know that I was talking about such sh*t as 3.5 after having spent loads of time raping my K6-266 to 458... I'm getting old man:D

Back