• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WIN 2K pro security patch update question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crazyman

who has installed all the security patches on the windows update page?

and did you have problems afterwards?

did you wish you had'nt done it?

or did it work fine,because I know earlier this year people were having problems with the security patches. :)

I dl'ed the entire critical update package after I switched from 98SE to 2K, which immediately screwed up the system, leading to a new install. Unless I can find out which one messed me up, I'm leaving updates alone.

I went through the process about 2 months ago on a 2K Pro clean install. I loaded the OS followed by SP2 and then the updates and haven't had any problems yet.

My one piece of advice before you install anything from the windows update site: Make sure you have a backup of eveyrthing!

I got bored one day at work (where I am now :D ) and decided to install the security updates for NT 4.0 (the admin's never ever update them, so I thought I'd give it a try) and that was one of the biggest mistakes I could make. Everything went fine downloading and installing them, but when I restart....good old dr. watson errors (yea...you all remember those things!) and then blue screened before I could log on to the domain. It even blue screened when I went into safe mode. It turned out that somehow the update messed w/ HP Lock (a program that automatically locks your computer) and everything we tried failed. Had to get a new hard drive (could have reformatted, but our drives are ghosted and removable). All in all...I only lost email and a few files I'd been working on, but it could have been worse.

Back