• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why should I switch from ME to XP Pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kent

I've got XP Pro sitting on my desk right now. Convince me to switch from ME. My system is mainly for gaming. Thanks, Kent :)

the only thing it adds is stability and security (NTFS) and different looking GUI.....its the little things that make me like XP....also its easy as heck to set up....

me is a little to weak for me

i dont like an os that trys to do every single thing for me

the reason i went to 2k is i dont like reseting my comptuer ever 2 min

Kent said:
I've got XP Pro sitting on my desk right now. Convince me to switch from ME. My system is mainly for gaming. Thanks, Kent :)

the only thing I can add is that about any OS is better than ME, take your pick. IMHO winME was a big mistake and took the worst of 98 and win2k and put them together.
I run 98se, win2k and xp, it all comes down to what you are comfortable with, system stability, driver problems. XP has a great set of the newest drivers for just about any hardware out there so if your games are compatible with it go ahead and switch.

XP rocks for gaming as well. ME is the WORST OS ive ever used.

all i can say is switch while u still can man!
just try it, make sure u do a clean install and switch to NTFS, which is a gazillion times better than FAT32 IMO.
if u dont like it u can always go back
-Malakai

OK this is odd. I am running an Athlon 850 with win ME and I only have to boot MAYBE once every 2 weeks or so. and I have on more than one occasion left it on with NO re-booting for upwards of a month.

is this a bad thing? Im in the process of getting a win2k cd so i can go to win2k OS. it sounds like that will be even better than my ME. is this true?

Mike

Ok.. First because Me is the crappiest os I've ever seen. I'd go back to Win95 before using it again...

And the stability is up there with 2K. I've never had a game crash in XP. even exiting it and going back to windows and then back to the game, like using the Windows key.

And And did I mention ME is crap?
You can tweak the hell out of XP, so it's much more fun.

And one more time to recap. ME is pure CRAP.

A380 said:
...A firend of mine once let his machine (win2k) run 7days, withour one reboot. Can you do this with 98? ;) ...

7 days is nothing. Longest I had mine up on Win2K Pro was near 5 weeks without a single reboot or error. It was finally reset due to a bad storm that came through and killed the power just long enough for the PC to turn off. A friend of mine's computer has been up and running since he got Win2K Pro (a long time ago). He never reboots, never upgrades or anything. It's a permanent file server for him. It's been up well over 6 months.

nipplebandit45 said:
OK this is odd. I am running an Athlon 850 with win ME and I only have to boot MAYBE once every 2 weeks or so. and I have on more than one occasion left it on with NO re-booting for upwards of a month.

is this a bad thing? Im in the process of getting a win2k cd so i can go to win2k OS. it sounds like that will be even better than my ME. is this true?

Mike

its not bad per say

you could leave up for 100 years but its going to wig out on you and gett errors and probably lock after a few days

im always fiddling with 2k so the longest ive had it up is 10 days
till theres an upgrade or a power outage or something

every one told me 2k had game problems

i have only had ONE program not run under 2k and it wasnt a game

it was a little program to transfer date threw the monitor to a keychain thingy

so no big deal

i also like having users and stuff to kep my mom and brother out of my stuff when they need to use "the internet"

my DREAM is xp pro with that U.are.U finger print device for 69 bucks

every one says its over kill but check this out

if the computer is in screensaver you just touch it and it logs you in ON THE ACCOUNT for that person

even if its logs on to acount1 and mr2 comes in and touchs it it logs automaticly in to acount2 and when MR1 comes back and touchs it it logs back in to account 1

( and if i rember correctly his programs will still be running but im not sure)

all of the 9x kernal OS'es leak resources. 98se was the best at not leaking them. if u leave the comp on for a week, if it doesnt crash, and run benchies you will get significantly lower benchies, especially ram bandwidth ones. and chances of a game crashing increase exponentially the longer it is left on.

all the benchies i did last night for IFMU's thread in memory were done after, oh, a few weeks of uptime. i think ive been on for 3, since the last norton kernal update made me reboot.

my bench scores are just as good as they are fresh after a reboot. 2k is just about as good at not leaking resources as XP. XP has some slight tweaks to the kernal is all.
-Malakai

ME is horrible, horrible...I had very bad experiences with it, compared to the stability and reliability of Windows 2000.

WinXP and Win2k should be able to handle most new games, unless you have an older piece of hardware in your system. I wouldn't recommend WinME to anyone, Win98SE is better IMO.

If your not sure what os to run buy another H/Drive & put XP Pro on it & give it a try if you dont like it you`ve still got your original data on your old H/Drive. If your still not convinced buy a mobile rack & you can swap H/Drives from the front of your Tower/Case when ever you like. I have done this & have two os`s on one rig:Win98SE & WinXP.

Acko

Back