• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Neon lights NOT to be used around computers??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeaponX

I just went to walmart and bought a blue 6" thin neon light. I came home and looked at the back and it said:

"CAUTION! Do not use the Neon Light Stick near computers or remote control devices. It may interfere with the operation of these types of devices."

So should I not use it then? It's made by 54Studio. I want to put it in the front of my Antec case, where those slits are. Will it be safe to use in my computer?

It probably emits plenty of fun radio signals. Is the inverter seperate, or is it built into the base of the neon?

If it's going to be in the front, i wouldn't worry because the metal case will block or reflect the interference

yo i got the same thing have you hooked yours yet man, i cant get mine to turn on based on the comps power...i tried plugigng it into the base inverter part where the switch is and into the main part. Hey btw you plug it in your moms car?? your mom would prob go nuts...

If you can, get ahold of some ferrites, and put them on the neons wiring. Ferrites help in keeping down EMI and RFI.

stool said:
If you can, get ahold of some ferrites, and put them on the neons wiring. Ferrites help in keeping down EMI and RFI.

What makes you think rat-like animals with insane flexibility will reduce EMI?;)

So what's a ferrite? Iron sheeting or something?

stool said:

"FERRITE BEAD, 0.5"L X 1"D X 0.47"ID"

OMG! That's what that thing is! One of those ferrite beads came with my case and I had no f***ing clue what it was for. Now another important question: where was that bead meant to go?

A good secondary one: do you only need one bead to prevent EMI over an entire wire?

Might be overkill, but I usually put 1 on each set of fan wires. I also use them on the relay setup for my pump and fan setup. As I had a bunch of the larger ones(the circular disks) scrounged from older PCs, I put them on my IDE cables. One seems to be fine for each set of wires.

better put on your tinfoil hat

you could just buy some metal screen and make a wall around it couldnt you?

Try this

Neons do emit rf energy. Your bios may have a setting called spread spectrum. Turn this on and it is supposed to help with emi or rf interference.

Watch that speed spetrem thing! I tried to turn mine up to just .25 when I was already overclocked.. Now whether its enabled or not I get a error when booting saying it has failed to start. I think I fried something but have not tried resetting the cmos yet to see if that works. I am no expert but I believe that when it is enabled it kina overclocks things. Ask some of the OC gods what that setting actually does when already OCed

Who said it was a perfectly good airplane?
Shut Up And Jump!
Crewdog6969 <<<skydiving term...not a gangster

amdXP 1800+ @1633 Locked MSI k7t266 pro2
512 ddr
maxtor 40gig 7200
geforce 3 ti500
networked to amd thunderbird 1.1
640 pc133 ram
hercules 64ddr 4500
Both folding away for team 32

Back