• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp 1900+[1.6Ghz] HSF 15<$<30

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

13rian

idiot that i am, i bought this cpu as oem, without even researching a good HSF for it. I just got the cpu today, 4/24, and so i'd like sum quick suggestions of effective cooling [HSF]. NOISE i mind ~very little~ b/c i'll mainly be gaming with headphones on.

Don't know what exactly i may need to mention for compatability issues....Socket A, epox 8k3a+, Antec sx630 mini tower 300w...anything else?

thank you all who participate, and even those who clicked this post :burn: :burn: :burn:

Edit: i've quickly scanned around using the 'search' feature and saw tons about thermalright sk6, millenium glaciator 2, and a few others, BUT i went to manufacturers websites on specification and many support only up to Athlon's at 1.533Ghz max...are they still effective enough to keep the temp's decently low?

Last edited:
The Thermalright AX-7 is probably your best bet right now. It is the best performing heatsink currently. www.newegg.com sells. Check the main page to see the hsf and watercooling roundup, you will se all the top hsfs in there.

The sk6 and glaciator would have no problem cooling that cpu.

The glaciator is on the heavy side though and only uses a single lug mounting clip, so it might be a concern of yours if you move your computer very often or are prone to being paranoid about breaking a lug.

the SK6 is a great sink, but only mounts 60mm fans, and needs a good bit of airflow to work efficiently. That equals out to you needing a fairly loud and whiney 60mm fan (ie delta)

The ax7 is what a lot of people are choosing right now, one of the best heatsinks on the market, mounts 80mm fans so you can get more airflow with less noise, and uses a three lug mounting clip so you can install it without removing your motherboard, but not have to worry(as much) about it taking out a lug.

ic...ax-7 huh? wasn't there a site that gives sample wav's of the fans in action? i saw that somehwhere, but didn't think twice about it at the time [kick myself in the arse!].

80mm fan is the best combo with this it seems. would it be quieter and still somewhat competitive if i had a 38mm delta or does that sound a lil WACK for an ax-7 [noob-e-god].

www.sidewindercomputers.com

look on there for the fan sounds

i use a 80mm 50cfm sunon on my ax7, and it's half as loud as a delta 38, if that.

i used to have a sk6 with the 50cfm delta(loudest 60mm that i'm aware of) on it. temps were great, sound was not. it kept me from getting on my computer as often. i actually used to surf on my 600mhz computer and game on this one, just because this one was so loud.

Sweet, that's the exact place i was thinking about.

Edit: I noticed the Sunon you recommended ran at a lower speed [3900 RPM]. Is this their only speed setting or can it be upped with more voltage[for extra performance]?

Last edited:
Would this fan work fine with ax-7:

SUNON 120x120x38mm 3100RPM 108CFM

if so, i would be able to buy both from newegg.com. although it's a bit louder than the 80mm 50.6cfm fan, it has over 2x the cfm [108], which i believe tells the real cooling that i'm looking for. That's rite...rite? air flow is the main part that tells how affective the cooling is?

Edit: or actually this YS Tech 120mm 131CFM!! which is quieter and more effective on air flow.

Last edited:
if you want a direct fit on the ax-7 you'll need a 80mm fan. Some people use adapters to get a 120 on there, but I don't know much about that. Seems like it would take up lots of room and put more torque on the socket lugs.

First of all I would recommend you to look at the front page on hs ratings (if you already haven't), and then I will recommend you the Ax-7 hs.

Here the other day I thought of an idea to cool down the hs. Why not mount a 120mm (the ys tech one seems great if you don't mind noise) in case (I noticed you had a mini tower) above the cpu and have it blowing outside air into the hs, with a duct to lead most of the air down at the fins. This way you will get an ambient on the air hitting the hs like the air outside the case, and that one is always cooler unless you case is a fridge or something. If you also recycles the air out fast, I think it would make great cooling.

What do you other think???

I havent tried this yet because of shortage on cash, but I will hopefully soon get some :) :) I would use the Papst fans although (is availeble in Norway and is quieter)

elysium

I'll be posting the results when I get the rig tested :)

What I love is the low ambient I will be getting ;)

elysium

Back