• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

big fan, small heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

13rian

from the spec's of a thermalright ax-7 heatsink and a TS Tech 120mm fan, wouldn't it seem that the fan would be too large to be bolted down? if not, plz explain and ignore the rest...

i can see 4 holes on my epox 8k3a+, but i don't think are spaced out wide enough for a 120mm fan. the only solution to make this work would be to glue the heatsink and fan right smack dab in the middle of each.

if i laid glue in the middle of this and stick this fan onto it, *presto*, that should be it, r i t e?
I don't plan on moving any parts around anytime soon so i'd think this should keep everything honky-dorry inside my case.

Edit: O yea, how do i find out if my motherboard would be able to give the power the fan will need[/w a 3pin]? if my epox 8k3a+ can't, i'll just pick up a 3-4 pin adapter, but i just wanna know if this is even necessary

13rian said:
from the spec's of a thermalright ax-7 heatsink and a TS Tech 120mm fan, wouldn't it seem that the fan would be too large to be bolted down? if not, plz explain and ignore the rest...

i can see 4 holes on my epox 8k3a+, but i don't think are spaced out wide enough for a 120mm fan. the only solution to make this work would be to glue the heatsink and fan right smack dab in the middle of each.

if i laid glue in the middle of this and stick this fan onto it, *presto*, that should be it, r i t e?
I don't plan on moving any parts around anytime soon so i'd think this should keep everything honky-dorry inside my case.

Edit: O yea, how do i find out if my motherboard would be able to give the power the fan will need[/w a 3pin]? if my epox 8k3a+ can't, i'll just pick up a 3-4 pin adapter, but i just wanna know if this is even necessary

The heatsink is made for, and can easily accomodate an 80mm fan.

Glueing or attaching a fan with tape is a nono, vibrations will rip that sucker loose in a day. You MUST use screws, or at the very least zip ties.

Also, if you're going to use a high performance fan (which you obviously are if you want good performance), you won't plug the fan into the motherboard header, you'll use a 12-volt molex adapter, which SHOULD come with the fan, but if not it's easy to wire up.

What you will want to check up on is wether or not the HSF will even fit on your mobo. That's a gigantic HSF, one of the biggest. Contact Epox via EMail, and ask if it'll fit. If it won't fit, then you'll have to use another HSF (Like the SK6).

"12-volt molex adapter"

isn't that a 3-to-4-pin adapter?...connecting to the psu to gain the necessary voltage?

13rian said:
"12-volt molex adapter"

isn't that a 3-to-4-pin adapter?...connecting to the psu to gain the necessary voltage?

Yep, it's called a 3-pin to 4-pin adapter, but It's actually a 2-pin to 4-pin adapter. You can't use the blue RPM monitoring wire when you connect it to a PSU.

Red fan wire to yellow PSU wire, black fan wire to either black PSU wire. It's not hard to get an old AT PSU and chop off a 4-pin Molex, then solder the fan wires into the appropriate connectors to make your own adapter though. No reason to blow $4 on one. Hell, you could just go to Radeo Shack and buy a small package of Male plugs (that are the appropriate size to fit into a molex plug).

Back