• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interrupted internet connection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Garfield

I have three computers in my house. The basement one, the kitchen one, and my computer in my room (the room computer, let's say). Whenever I'm on the basement computer or the room computer (dial-up 56k), and somebody calls, my internet connection gets interrupted and the call goes through. But, my kitchen computer doesn't do this. TO many, this may seem a hindrance, but I don't like missing calls because I have a tendency to stay online for long periods of time. What do you think is causing this internet interruption? How could I enable it on the kitchen computer?

Well it matters how low the voltage is on the phone line in each of the houses, the quality of the phone line and also what kind modems you use. Maybe the modem ur on has some special functions, etc.

There is an option to disable it on your "modem properties". There might be an option to turn it on in the same place I would assume if it's there. That's all I can think of... what kind of modem do you have on the kitchen comp.? (other than the obvious 56k).

You did not specify if you have call waiting and if any computers disable call waiting. A dialing prefix *70 or 1170 will disable call waiting in my area. If I don't use this then any call should break through.

To my knowledge there is no setting for a modem that controls whether it lets a phone call through or not.

Yes, I have call waiting. And, yes I use *70. But, before we put that it to also dial-up, if somebody called, it woudl just ring, and ring, and ring. And the internet connection wasn't interrupted.

I used to have a similar problem, the answer lies in the phone company with that situation sadly. The problem is that the modem is "looking" for a change in the signal on the phone line. like an increase in voltage. The telephone company obviously is using an old system for phones still and the new system for the net. I would think that you should be able to call the phone company up and explain it and they should be able to fix it from the office.

Back