• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firewalls

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cluster

I need a GOOD software firewall solution. I tried ZoneAlarm and that caused more problems than it helped. I need something that doesn't ask me every 5 minutes wether something can use the net. And no 'eye candy'. I hate programs like that, they usually always mean buggy programs (ie XP)

Sygate's firewall is good as well and free for personal use. It will still ask by default, but I never had nearly as many problems from it as I did from ZA (which crashed my system).

1. That feature with the popups can be turned off. I have ZoneAlarm set so that it doesn't notify me of those millions of people always pinging my computer to see if they can get access. I have it set to ask which programs I want to access the net and simply click the x on the don't ask again thing for most of them. I only get asked when I install some new software and once in a while by realplayer and windows media player (they like to call home and I don't want them to). ZoneAlarm really is an awesome firewall once you fix the settings to your liking

2. If the symmantec firewall mentioned is the firewall that comes with Norton Internet Security, do not get it, especially if you like playing games. The firewall seems to suck up processing power and bandwidth. Sending a packet during an online game takes a full second longer to make it through the firewall, which makes the game unplayable.

Tiny Personal Firewall is another option you could try. Although, I agree w/ a few of the above posts that once you get used to ZA, it really offers the best, software based inbound and outbound protection.

This article at GRC.com is a great read. It discusses the mechanics of a personal attack, the methods used, and how to protect your PC. Long..but worth the time.

Krusty said:
If the symmantec firewall mentioned is the firewall that comes with Norton Internet Security, do not get it, especially if you like playing games. The firewall seems to suck up processing power and bandwidth. Sending a packet during an online game takes a full second longer to make it through the firewall, which makes the game unplayable.

I use this firewall and I have found it very easy to use and also very good. I play online games all of the time and I have never had a problem about lag or anything with it. What OS were you using when you had problems and what version of the firewall?

LordNicon said:

I use this firewall and I have found it very easy to use and also very good. I play online games all of the time and I have never had a problem about lag or anything with it. What OS were you using when you had problems and what version of the firewall?

I used windows 98 at the time. I was using a recent version of norton internet security (win98 version, not win2k version). I tried playing Tribes, Tribes2, and Diablo2. It caused lag that made the games absolutely unplayable. When I'd shut off the firewall, everything worked nicely. That really annoyed me because I wanted to have a firewall during game play. That is when I am distributing my IP to computer geeks the most.

ivwshane said:
You can turn that feature off, anyways how about symantecs personal firewall?
Symantecs "Personal Firewall 2002" is pretty good . Its easy to configure , frequent updates and works well with XP Pro . I also like Sygate and its ability to back trace (very cool) works well in XP too . ZoneAlarm was good till I swithed to XP Pro and had major problems with it , so I have not used it for quite awhile . My current recommendations are Sygate and Symantec . My .02 ;) One of these days I'll go back to ZoneAlarm for another try . :D

Last edited:
I'm running the latest version of ZoneAlarm Pro and its the best I have ever used. Like stated above, the feature that notifies you everytime someone tries to connect to your PC can be deactivated. When I first installed it I wanted to see how many times someone tries to connect to my system and that quickly got on my nerves. Plus if you want more information when someone tries to connect to your PC you can just click on that option and it takes you to Zonealarm website and gives you more information about the IP address that tried to connect to you.

I have found out that alot of my connection attempt came from my DSL provider so I called and complained and that was the end of that.

craigiz1 said:
AMD'er,

Did they give you a reason why they would be trying to connect to you like that and for so many times?
I get a lot of hits too.

It really doesn't tell you why the individual is tring to connect to you but you can figure out if they are just tring certain ports or if they were using a Port Scanner device on you. EX: If you have about 10 or 12 hits from a single IP address that means they were using a port scanner.

I found that Norton Personal Firewall 2002 was causing virtual memory problems under XP PRO. I'm running the XP built-in firewall with good success as nobody can see my machine and I passed the full security scan at dslreports with no problems.

So far, so good!

Back