• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cant figure this out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wyno

This is kinda related to my question I posted earlier today. I got the router hooked up and internet going on the first comp but I cant seem to get the second comp online. It is a d-link router. Please help as I want to get the second comp up and folding.

Wyno,

I also have a d-link router (704) and had a similar problem with of my comps. I turns out I had 2 occurences of my nic and tcpip protocol in my network settings. I removed both occurences and rebooted my comp and windows discovered the nic on startup. Everyhting worked after that.

If you haven't checked already, make sure your tcpip settings are set to obtain an address. Then run winipcfg and select release all and then renew all and see if that works for you.

good luck

I was just looking over the manual again and I am not sure how to configure the router corectly to make things right. I have comcast cable. For example... static or dynamic ip address?

I got that part figured out. All I had was a bad cable. KISS every problem right? I was taught that long ago. Thanks for thehelp.

glad u figured it out. As far as IPs go, static are global addresses that are usually assigned to you by your ISP. Dynamic addresses can change whenever your comp requests an ip. In my limited expirience, I usually use the 192.168.1.1 band of addresses reserved as private ips when implementing dhcp. Obviously you could supply static ips to the ip pool and use those also. This allows you to connect a large number of comps to the internet without having to lease a large number of addresses from your ISP (expen$ive). You can probably configure that router to send your other comp a dynamic ip from the 192.168.1.1 band and access the internet through your router.

EDIT- realizing this is home networking, i am sure you are already supplied with DHCP addys from your isp :p

Back