• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp Update!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElroyCarbon

Well I have the gun! I spent an hour or so and took apart my machine so that the mobo could breathe. I have found that the infared is real easy to use. I also calibrated it and found that it's good to +/- 2 Degree C which I followed up with the manufacturer. I'm confused with how to do the cal! I have found that when I shot the CPU I get as much as 37 C difference. I realize this isn't worth talking about, it's not out that far. It read 62.0 C on the gun and 99 C in the bios. Now understand that when I remove the heatsink the temp instantly responds however the gun shoots reatime as well. This is going to be alot trickier than I thought. The temp is going to be hotter below the chip than on the top Aluminum where I'm taking it. That's arctic silver 3 you see on the chip. I figured I'd try it with it on and then with it removed. still have no clue where the temp is recorded for the case temp so please HELP! I need all the ideas I can get from you folks. I have the gun for a couple of weeks and until I get my reservior sealed I can experiment with this. I did find that when shooting the temp of the mobo in various areas that the BIOS and the gun agreed within 4 to 6 degrees C. I realize I'm probably not checking this right so ideas please. If we can locate where temp is taken on the board we could probably apply the same offset to the CPU temp.
http://www.raytek-northamerica.com/...se=show&id=1013803974&tool_id=38&cat_id=2.3.5

Last edited:
Thanx for the hospitality! These are by far the greatest forums around. I'm not sure why it took me as long as it did to make it here. I found myself being sent to oc.com for my H2O questions alot. I did by the way all testing at the default speed of 1.6. Everything is stock to minimize any uncertainty.

Last edited:
I think one problem you might have is that the cpu diode reads temp in the core. you are reading the temp of the heat spreader I am sure there would be a differance.

I hearya! I feel like such an idiot cause I have the equipment and the rig torn apart yet I cannot give any info worth discussing. I'm thinking at least with my machine it's roughly 5-7 C off. It may not be that way across the board though.

ElroyCarbon,
I'd be curious to find out what temp reading you get on your RDRAM without the fan running. Or with it running for that matter.
Grant

Well for starters you'll laugh at the way I mounted the fans. I just recently did some work for Triad Circuits outside Chi-town. I toured the joint and learned how they create these crazy boards. They go through as many as 50 stages during production and well to get to the point it seemed almost like an epoxy/ resin fiberglass type of slop. So I figured I'd try my pal superglue and to my pleasant surprise it works awesome! You see when the RAM is cool it doesn't seem to affect the glue at all & well the fans keep the sticks cool. I had a couple of these beater fans lying around and walla! These bad boyz are rockin 7000 RPMs each not sure about CFM. I'll do a quick check on the temp difference although this cat "Batboy" has already posted the temp difference, but I'll make it easy for ya just give me a day or so. I will once again give "Batboy" props cause I ran with his idea, just decided to twist it a bit. Remember just a tack is all 2 tiny drops on the top of each surface let it sit for 20 seconds then held the fans in place until tacked. I have for the record removed them several times at which point I lighty sand off the residue and begin again. Once you cool the RAM "ITS ON" :D As for the North Bridge not sure if it did anything or not it's kinda rigged, but holds tight so I can't complain. If anyone else reads this who has cooled the North Bridge chipset let me know how you did it. Laslty I was wondering also if anyone has used Arctic 3 on the North chipset & is it even worth the effort?

Last edited:
By the way everyone I'm running the two fans on the RAM the fan thats above was used in conjunction with the crappy blue heatsink to keep the CPU in check as I played with the temps on the MOBO. The residue wasn't even sanded off so if you look close enough you may be able to see the Superglue.

Here are a few more shots! Notice the waterblock has to be installed before the Fans. I lean the fans over towards the CPU to cool the area between the CPU and the RAM as well.

Glue shot! I'm not saying this is the best way to do this, but so far so good. Isn't experimenting fun! Man this Old school digital sux! sorry about the technicolor photos :D

I used superglue before too, except when I had to reattach after doing some work on the board I used different glue, it dripped everywhere including down into the slots that hold the ram, resulting in error code c1, I ended up buying another board changing the serial # stickers and then returning the bad board in its place then did the same thing with the ram it eneded up just costing me a $10 restocking fee and the new ram I got makes it to 1088 and its only pc800

Quote : Justin2050 "I used superglue before too, except when I had to reattach after doing some work on the board I used different glue, it dripped everywhere including down into the slots that hold the ram, resulting in error code c1, I ended up buying another board changing the serial # stickers and then returning the bad board in its place then did the same thing with the ram it eneded up just costing me a $10 restocking fee and the new ram I got makes it to 1088 and its only pc800"

And that is exactly the reason I hate shopping at FRY's because sometimes stuff like this gets back on the shelves. Some people....

:rolleyes:

lol ! Fry's is your best friend when it comes to replacing broken hardware :D . Nicely done cooling on the ram, simple yet effective.

I'm definitly going to have to add some more cooling in my chasis, this summer is going to be a real scorcher. The way I have my desk setup now works out pretty well atm. Its against the wall, so my case on my desk is parrallel with the window where I have a huge dual fan blowing in and another small clamp-fan clamped to my desk so it pushes the cold air in the direction of my case into the intake fans. Around 8:30 or so, my cpu temp drops to 36c w/ stock cooling. During the day is another story. Can idle as high as 47-50c :/ I frequently check the temps while I'm at work to see how hot it is in my room, heh.

Back