• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Defrag winNT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TJ9

I am not to sure if I have asked this before but here it goes.
I have a win NT Small Bussenesss Server acting as the file server in my office. Does anybody know how to defrag the harddrives in it?

The best that we have been able to come up with is to copy the drive to another drive and then delete everything and copy the infomation back on so that it is no longer fragmented.

Any other suggestions.

I think they have done away with the freeware version. Won't hurt to look, though. If they don't, PM me and I'll email you a copy of the freeware version.

Um . . . use Disk Defragmenter. It should be in the Administrative Tools. At least it is in Win2k, which is built on the NT OS arcitecture.

yea its not going to be in nt

microsoft said ntfs didnt get deframented becuase of ntfs

so they left it out

yea go with 3rd party or 2k

I had a UPS computer at my old job that had NT, and it had a defrag tool. I guess it was a later version than what you have. Is there any chance of an update including a defrag utility?

That's really odd... It seems I have the latest service pack there (6a), and no signs of a defrag.
Maybe it's kinda optional component?

Hmmm. Well, even though I don't have access to the computer now, be assured I'm not making it up. I vividly remember how weird it was, compared to what I was used to with 98. It had a bar graph to show had fragmented the drive was,and you could schedule it to run when the machine was rebooted. I installed Netscape on it, and I used it with my own dialup when I was bored to surf the web. I sometimes wonder what the UPS tech will think next time he comes in. I had a great shot of a Telemundo star named Sofia Vergara as wallpaper until the general manager saw it. I don't miss working there. But with my luck, my next job will be even worse!

Get the O&O Defragmenter for Windows from O&O Software. Fully functional freeware edition and it works perfectly. You wont' find a better free defragmenter anywhere (Not many pay ones are this good). Is specifically designed for NT, 2K and XP (they don't even make one for 95, 98, ME).

It's what I use...even decided to pay for the Professional addition.

stool said:
That's not a native NT defragger. Sounds like somebody installed a third-party one.
I'll have to assume you're right, it's the only computer I've ever used with NT. But it was right where you'd find the Win98 defrag, in the drive properties tools tab. The UPS shipping software also had a version of IE that was limited to UPS's website, that's why I installed Netscape.

it was right where you'd find the Win98 defrag, in the drive properties tools tab

That doesn't mean much. For example, Norton Utilities also integrate into Properties tab.

Jon
You wont' find a better free defragmenter anywhere (Not many pay ones are this good).

I've tried it and tried Norton SpeeDisk. IMHO, SpeeDisk is faster and more reliable, although I can't prove it.

Back