• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the better internet sharing solution. . .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blackearth

so, i have to choices: 1) go cheap and just buy a hub and use inernet sharing in winxp 2) buy/use a router. whats the difference between the 2? am i going to see a nice cut in my bandwith if i go the way of the hub?

Get a router--I've seen some as cheap as $30 at Best Buy (D-Link DI-704P) after MIR's. Routers can do several things a lot easier than ICS.

*The 'server' computer does not need to be on for the other computers to access the internet.

*Built in NAT and firewall functions (though the firewall may not be as complete as a software solution on a dedicated computer).

*Most come with 4 port SWITCHES which negates the need for a separate switch or hub (unless you have more than 4 computers--then find a router with an 8--or more--port switch).

*Easily configurable via web browser.

*Many have built in print server ports and/or backup POTS connections available (again, you don't have to have a dedicated box turned on 24/7 to use these features).

As far as bandwidth is concerned--your broadband will be hard pressed to keep up with even a 10Mb/sec (slow ethernet) hub.

I concur with mbinga on everything but also wish to add that most routers now are 10/100. As for the firewall capability... some are now setup to use such programs as zone alarm to further the protection. I cant tell you how happy i am to have a hardware firewall. I used to get hacked all the time using my "secure" software firewalls. The greatest thing about a hardware firewall/router is that they cant ping you and cant port scan you.

While a router is the better choice of the two, keep in mind a simple routers limitations....

1. Routing. Yes, simple off the shelf routers have limitations in their...well...routing. Some have only enough memory to allow a certain number of routes. This helps keep the cost down.

2. Types of routing. The biggest concern to some (maybe not you) is IPSEC pass through for VPN's. Some support it, some dont.

The best thing is to take a look at a broad spectrum of routers. Make your choice from there. A good place to start is www.practicallynetworked.com

Back