• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant connect to the internet through Windows XP!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TUK101

I recently installed Windows XP, and now I cannot connect to the internet. I have a $100 dollar US Robotics external hardware modem, and when I first installed XP i got it working, but now no go. I do not know what happened, or how it happened but for the past two days I cannot get onto the internet. I bought a new modem today with Windows XP drivers on the disc and I still cannot get onto the internet through XP. What gives? Is there a setting somewhere that I need to change? I even spent two hours on the phone with Microsoft tech support and they didnt get me anywhere except a system restore which did nothing but waste my time. I have tried making several new dialers through the internet connections wizard and even set one up with my ISP's help and he couldnt get it going either. If anybody has had this problem and knows what the fix is please help!!!

P.S. I forgot to mention that I can get online through Windows 98 with the same modems, either one of them. In XP the modems dial in, and then it says that I am logging onto the network and then I get the boot with an error saying that the provider cut me off and that they couldnt find the appropriate file.

LOL that is where I did start, and have continued to start 3 times now, as a matter of fact I just got off the phone with them. They say that they are not familiar with XP enough to give me a fix. They tried to set me up with Microsoft again lol. I am getting so frustrated by the whole situation right about now lol. Anyhow, i replaced the phone line to my office with the best stuff that they sell, and wired in a new jack. No go man, same shcmitt as before. I think that I am going to try Windows 2k and scrap the XP idea until I find out what was causing this problem, I mean if Microsoft themselves cant fix the problem I dont know who can? I know, the guys here on OC'ers.com forums with find something for me to try!!!

You might try to contact the manufacture of your modem and see if they have any ideas or know of any issues. You could also check their web site for any updated drivers for your modem and or stuff like that. Also I am sure that with all the tech support you have been through, someone mentioned making sure your IP Addresses in XP are correct. If they are not your ISP will reject your attempt to get online. Just a thought...

I seem to get somwhat the same problem with mine. I have a dual boot 98SE/XP Pro, with a cable modem. I can access the 'net thru 98 anytime, but with XP I can hit the net after I start up. After a certain time of inactivity XP seems to lock out any network traffic. I have called the ISP, I have shut down programs one at a time to see if it is the problem, but so far no soap.

My ISP had never heard of this problem, and referred me to the muddlings of microsoft website.

*grabs shovel to start digging*

Ill let you know if I hear/ read anything of it.

Is the built-in firewall of XP acting up? Try disabling it :D

Add: just a thought, did you try to compeltely de-install the modems? The drivers I mean? Try that, an re-start. After that, Xp should automatically re-install the drivers. It may not help, but it is definitely worth a try.

OK, guys great advice, but i have tried each and every one of those lol. I have the proper IP addresses memorized, both the defauld and alternate ones. I have a new modem now, and it wont log me on either. The new modem has XP drivers on the disc as well. That was the first thing that I tried was dissabling the firewall. My IP tech said that the firewall should be left on, but I tried to connect both ways. Like I said guys, I can connect through 98 (what I am on now). And I used to be able to connect through XP for 3 days I was able to. Then at midnight last Saterday, it all came to and end and I cannot connect anymore. That is one reason that I think that a setting is check/unchecked and I just do not know what it is, I have tried everything. Talked to tech support 3 different times hoping to get a techy that might just know what the problem is. I think that what I may try is a total reformat!!! I hate doing that too, what a pain in the arse

I found out through process of elimination that my XP will not renew the IP lease of my cable modem. I am on the telephone with the tech folks at my ISP to figure out how to fix it, but they haven't worked with XP much.

Windows 98SE works like a charm, I have a dual boot setup just so I can get farmiliar with XP, but an hour and a half after I start XP I get booted from the internet never to get back without a restart. Not good for an internet gamer.

If anyone has any ideas of how to setup auto renew for this I am all ears. I have now talked to 4 different folks at tech support, they are passing me around like a hot potato...lol

Isn't it a question of enabling DNS in connection properties then?

In 98 this was calles DNS, but in XP it says something like "automatically receive an IP from my ISP"

£ÕtÅ©ÅtŠ >^.^<

I wish I had the answer but I do have a somewhat similar problem..
I lose my browsers. They are not at fault. Especially an operation like editing a site...the file managers or messing aroud forums and message boards...anything that pulls on a bunch of servers.

It's downright unacceptable!! This machine is still under 30 days. I thought I'd try win XP pro...whew. We all make them...mistakes I mean. I'm really not having any more problems except the browser deaths. After awhile...they can no longer communicate with the rest of the web and a system reboot is required. I can crash and bash the browsers but all one has to do is click off and back on again and they are fine.

In this case, one browser is affected and they all are...old netscape, new netscape, opera, explorer, slim browser...all die and need reboot. *sigh*

I have, in an attempt to narrow it down for my tech (where computer built..)
:
Restored to factory XPPro three times and ran it factory virginal.
No software other than factory. Same.

Reload all the toys..same.

Used two ISPs...(signed up with NetZero to try this..)...same.

Used two seperate phone lines...same...

Used another computer on one of the same phone lines with win XP home....no problem with the other guy.

Phone company says "no phone noise"...same..

ISP and I disabled XP firewall....same....run with and without...

Today tech and I decided to check corrupt XP...formatted completely...fresh install....no other software....no XP firewall up.....SAME!

*GASP*

Modem check A_OK.....same....

All kinds of device checks...same....glad tech has a lot of funny stories. Looked for "Oh S**tTbutton"...not located.

The worst thing happening is a little under volt on the cpu core...tech doesn't care.

Tried two different webpage hosts in file managers...same.

That's as narrow as it gets...tech gives me his own extension. This may take awhile. I think tomorrow he wants to partision (SP?) whatever...I'm tired...and add my win98 to establish two OS. He swears by wins 98 as the most compatible and still uses it..has little use for the others...I always loved it and I think I want to reestablish that affair.

Except for this browser homicide...I like win xp ok...I feel a bit like a beta tester for Gates, however.

Since this thing is heavily warrented...I had a tender promise that it will be made right and I'll tell you what shakes loose if it'll help you out. It really is frustrating. Tech told me of a job he had blowing up computers.. (he stated "Anything of Mr. Gates' ")I forgot what the job was but I think, at this time, I would like it. Love it, in fact.

If anybody has any idea why this happens...I'd like to know..curiosity is getting to me, big time..Anything that can be done...

Thanx for listening.

:eh?:

Ralcor,
When you say that IP is not being renewed, are you meaning that Win XP is not getting an IP or that the cable modem itself is not getting an IP? If Win XP is not renewing, what happens when you run the command IPCONFIG /RELEASE, then IPCONFIG /RENEW from a dos window? If it says its successfull, run the command IPCONFIG /ALL. Trying to PING the addresses that are listed under DNS Servers, if there listed. Another thing to check, does your computers IP address fall within the range of 169.254.0.1 through 169.254.255.254. That is a range of addresses that windows will automatically assign your machine if it cannot reach your ISP to obtain an IP. Sometime if it was assigned a windows auto IP, it will get jammed in the system and the system will stop querying external sources. To clear it when that happens, you have to staticly assign an IP to the machine, accept the changes, then go back in and set it to automatically obtain an IP.

lotacats>^.^<
I had a similar problem when I signed onto ATT cable. What showed up for me in the browser was Cannot find DNS. If you get a similar message, try going into the computer management console (Right click My Computer and choose manage from the menu), expand Services and Applications, highlight Services, find the service called DNS Client, right click on it and choose properties. Under the General tab, goto Startup Type and switch it to Manual, under where it says service status, click the Stop button. Close all your IE windows and other browsers and see if they start working properly. The disadvantage to this fix is that if you are running a Windows 2000 active directory domain, the machine will be unable to contact the active directories. Its not a common problem. Nobody at ATT was aware of the fix. I found it out from a friend of mine that does broadband installation.

NTX-Zoner said:
Ralcor,
When you say that IP is not being renewed, are you meaning that Win XP is not getting an IP or that the cable modem itself is not getting an IP? If Win XP is not renewing, what happens when you run the command IPCONFIG /RELEASE, then IPCONFIG /RENEW from a dos window? If it says its successfull, run the command IPCONFIG /ALL. Trying to PING the addresses that are listed under DNS Servers, if there listed. Another thing to check, does your computers IP address fall within the range of 169.254.0.1 through 169.254.255.254. That is a range of addresses that windows will automatically assign your machine if it cannot reach your ISP to obtain an IP. Sometime if it was assigned a windows auto IP, it will get jammed in the system and the system will stop querying external sources. To clear it when that happens, you have to staticly assign an IP to the machine, accept the changes, then go back in and set it to automatically obtain an IP.

The cable modem itself is getting an IP, I have 2 computers attached to a hub running to the cable modem and the other machine (Win98SE) is getting thru fine. I try the ipconfig commands at the run box, and the DOS window flashes on and off so fast that I cannot read it. I get some kind of address that is called a 'private network' IP, even thou I cannot access anything across the 'net. I will try getting to a solid DOS prompt and try the commands again. But this could get very old very quick if I am in the middle of an online game and get dropped. I gonna try the tech support guys at the ISP again, as they are as stumped as I am with it. I also have a few fellows at the shop where I work trying to find what I can do with it also.

Thanks for the ideas, Ill keep you all posted.

continuing saga of the browser deaths.

Thank you Zoner...

Tried it all...*sigh*

Since the browsers do hold on like iron...such as downloads and windows updates...(that take forever) and games, mail..for the most part part I would have to say it is about normal...for a browser and whatever idios they tend to have.

It has the hardest time of all in the darn file manager..sometimes a forum or message board.

Back to irrepressable Tony the Tech...he's ruling out software and machine...some under mumblings...$%#@ and something about Gates and java..and then asked if Bravenet was XP compatible. I never thought of a site being OS compatible or otherwise...so I asked them...I need to wait for an answer and than next week I just think we'll go for the dual boot...60/40 in favor of win98.

I need to have the tech walk me thru it because of warrenty and such...screw it up and it's dead...if the tech screws it up..well...replace it. Never done it but it'll be nice to learn how.

thanx again...if you can think of anything..love to hear it.

£ÕtÅ©ÅtŠ >^.^<

:rolleyes:

Back