• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audigy or is ther better out? Opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, thats the Game Theater XP. What I was saying earlier is that it has room for expansion. It's hardware is completely programmable, and eventually it will have eight individual channels of audio. Right now it is has 6.1. Also the rack is great. All of the optical jacks are in back which makes sense since most people will be using the optical outputs/inputs on their recievers. I'm using the optical output with a sony reciever and the sound is unbelievable, dvd's are really impressive (I think it sounds better than my home theater system). The only thing I really don't like about it is that it doesn't have an output on the card itself. If I go to lan parties I have to take the rack with me. This is fine since I just ordered the Epox 8k3a+ which has onboard sound. So for now on at lan parties I can just use the unboard sound and leave the rack at home. I have never actually used the audigy but I have used all of their previous cards. The GTXP replaced my soudblaster live board and it completely blew that away. Anyway I highly reccomend this card to everyone.

I dont know about the audagy, but my experiences with the GTXP have been poor. I bought it and it didnt work with W2k, drivers came and went, Emails where sent, the sun would rise and then fall again. They just now are looking into why it dosent work, nine months after I bought it. The moral is, the GTXP is a good card, but if problems arise, you may not get help from hercules.

ive had both a live DE5.1 and an audigy in my system and honestly cant tell the difference
im running yamaha and studio acoustic speakers into a component amp and my Live sounds just as good

audigy might be new,but that doesnt mean its perceptibly different

my $0.02 worth

Yeah, the GTXP did have driver problems with Win2k for a while, but doesn't any product have driver problems when it first comes out? Now the drivers are great... I haven't had any issues since the new release.

GTXP

for what it's worth, the audigy sounds slightly better than the gtxp, if your speakers are good enough to tell, however, i didn't want to spend 200-250 for the platinum and platinum ex.

also for those who like headphones more than speakers...you'll be more than happy with the headphone output on the gtxp. the gtxp has an a/b amp built in the box for the headphones. audigy platinum's have no headphone amp..let alone a high quality amp.

i am going with gtxp, but if i could afford the audigy platinum ex, i'd buy a terratec instead.

the game theater xp comes with mostly cheap software, or free downloadable software. there is also a yamaha program which doesn't work with windows xp....mine crashed....

audigy comes with a better software bundle.

the choice is yours.

Almost had me fooled by reviving a month old thread:)

None of these cards an compete with a decend pro audio card though!

Given the choice of the sound cards mentioned here I would choose the GTXP:)

funny...he he he

funny, because i was looking for a sound card to complete my pc....and i saw this today, just after buying the gtxp on e-bay. it was the card of choice for me because of the high quality headphine amp, and the rear toslink and coax i/o's

also , the audigy doesn't sound a whole hell of a lot better, and cost twice the loot.

audigy platinum's don't have the i/o's i use , in the back, but rather , they put them up front where i don't want them

gimme headphone up front but my permanent hook-up to my speakers should be in the back.....

now my wife will be happy. after i get the gtxp, my pc will be done..finished...complete.

i got some fan filters coming this week, i ordered them with my arctic silver III.

can't wait to get some new altec lansing 641's too.
then i'll really be all set

i wonder what a nice set of quality headphones should cost...

hmmmm,

then i'll be done for sure

i only have 256 mb mushkin...hmmmm
better pick up some more of that since i saved so much on the sound card.

hmmmm
this monitor is a year and a half old, should replace that too...hmmmm, then i should be all set.........

anyone care to suggest a good pair of headphones?

wireless..???

thanks for the link. nice headphones there.

are their wireless worth while or should i stay wired?

those headphones are pretty pricey. are they worth the loot?

scoobydoo said:
Almost had me fooled by reviving a month old thread:)

None of these cards an compete with a decend pro audio card though!

Given the choice of the sound cards mentioned here I would choose the GTXP:)

Heh, I actually gave up my Delta 1010 because of the abysmal gaming performance. Sound quality is unmatched by any consumer card though. Now that processors are uber fast I'm thinking about getting another one of these.

Either that or the Terratec DMX 6fire 6ch soundcard. Entry-level pro sound, and all the 3D gaming, DVD capability. Heck, mayb both=)

With that, The GTXP was quite good and so is the Philips AE. If the AE didn't have flimsy dangly things I'd perfer it more but those cables get worn and shorted after a while. Static and noise follow shortly after. Seismic Edge(PSC705) Has the digital out right there on the card rather than by the dangly cable. Could be a better bet.

edit: Forgot to mention pro sound cards actually *work* in SMP systems. The Audiophile 24/96 is only about $150, and the Delta 410 being $200. They're pretty durned good entry level cards. Main reason they're cheaper is they lack the breakout box with your 500 connections. Expect a bigger hit in games than you would normally get though. Sound fedelity is superb!

Back