• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Printer sharing,need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dave65

I am trying to give my second computer the ability to share my printer,I have bought a router and the network is working as far as my cable goes,my router has a built in 4 port switch,whatever that means,any help would be great.Thanks

Share the printer out on the PC it's installed on and then go to the second PC, add a new printer, choose Network printer and it should show up as available in the network window. It will then set itself up.

Very simple process.

Ive done that,do I nee any special cables or anything other than the Ethernet cable coming from the Router?

Nope. When you go to print a page from the other PC it will send th request over the network to the print server and it will print your page just as if you had one connected to it.

Ive tryed everything,I even ran the network setup wizard and nothing works,it isnt finding the printer.thanks anyway ..
I will keep trying

Are you using a normal printer, or one with an ethernet port?

If it's a normal printer and you can't get it to work, is the machine the printer is attached to turned on and working properly when you try to send a print job to it from the other machine?

ZoneAlarm would block it, more than likely. I believe it defaults to block all direct incoming network connections.

Try disabling it and see if it doesn't show up when you try and install a network printer from that other PC.

I got it,I didnt have the path set correctly,the name I had on there was wrong..And yes the Zone Alarm was blocking it also..
Thanks a million guys:D

you dont have to diable Zoneallarm completly theres a option to allow internal ip's to access the computer fully or specify some ports.

Yeah I just enabled the port for the printer..
Thanks guys:D

Back