• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

yes or No? On this cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aznboi64

A buddy is offering me a 1.2ghz T-bird at a very reasonable price. Here is the info on it, let me know if it can go far on overclocking. And if so whats the range?

AMD ATHLON
A1200AMS3C
AXIA 0128CPFW
(M) (C) 1999 AMD

I went AMD with the XP's, but just from surfing this forum I've heard great things about the AXIA. One guy is actually using 'AXIA' as a username, that should tell you something. No one has the username 'AGKGA' or anything...

--Illah

from what i hear AXIA are some of the best use the CPU database located on the frontpage to get an idea of the speed it will gain. Bear in mind the cooling aswell

With good cooling and 1.85V u will almost 100% break the 1.4Ghz barrier... I'm running w/ a bad PSU and bad cooling so I can't do a lot about it, but when I'm gonna get a new waterblock and PSU, I'll see how high I can go. Mine is also AXIA 9 but week 20, his is 28, generaly the newer the better.

its an AXIA 'Y'.

back when i baught it, the overclocking shops in the uk were selling these at a price premium. they selected the axia y's and where selling them at a higher price.

on air with a thermoengine and loud delta it does around 1420mhz.

with my watercooling setup it does about 1540mhz @ 1.85v. i had to turn the voltage down (and hence the speed) cuz the water in my res was getting too warm, and inorder to cool it properly, i was having to run my fans at full speed, which wasnt on. now my computer is almost silent (except for the vibration from the pump which i will be sorting out for sure in the next 2 weeks or so).

I was looking to hit pass 1.6+ with the 1.2ghz. Is this possible with water cooling? Either this cpu or I'm getting a T-bird with the right stepping and going 1.7ghz with it.

So now you know that the cpu is a good one but you have to consider what you'll be paying for it.

We still don't know what "a reasonble price" is.
The price will determine if you're getting a god deal or not.

if u r very lucky u will hit around 1.6ghz. however, i dont think u will be able to. the 1ghz axia that i use is probably a very similar chip to those sold as 1.2ghz axias, so u can expect similar results to me in terms of overclock, ie. around 1.55ghz watercooled and thats if your system is upto it. if u use a peltier though, thats a different story. as for getting any tbird to 1.7ghz, its probably not gonna happen, and if it does, then it will be putting out ALOT of heat. in fact, if u have a tbird running at 1.7ghz, u will probably have the cpu that puts out the most heat in the whole of this forum:eek:

Well from the database the 1ghz t-bird is faired very well at 1.6ghz+.

the best way is to get the cpu and try it yourself. on watercooling, i think 1.6ghz is reachable, cuz on air i ran a [email protected] and im sure that that cpu on my current watercooling rig would definetly be good to go about 50mhz higher. but that was using a 1.4ghz.

that cpu database has people posting up totally unstable scores. there is a big difference between getting windows to boot up and running prime95 stable for a few hours. im sure that people in there post up high scores just to look good.

the strange thing is that from what ive worked with the scores on there are about 50-100mhz too high on tbs at around 1-1.4ghz.

get the cpu, overclock it and see what it ll do, if it does better than 1.450mhz, then u can come back and tell us, but if it doesnt make it past 1450mhz, dont be too surprised...like i said, its a shame that the people on the database are allowed to post up overclocks which are not stable.

in fact, ive just noticed the signatures of people who have posted in this thread:

TBird 900 AGGA @ 130*8 (1040)
AMD Thunderbird 1200 AXIA "9" @ 1331 (148x9)
[email protected]
Athlon XP 1.4GHz @ 1.53GHz

now if u compare the above scores (which are probably alot more realistic) with the database. the database for sure will come up with results on average about 100mhz higher. cuz the people who have posted in this thread are real, many of the scores people post in the database are over stated (perhaps too look good). take those database scores with a pinch of salt. what i find strange is that a guy who uses water to cool his cpu (ie. me) is unable to overclock his cpu further than the average person in the cpu database, a majority of which are using air to cool their cpu...there's gotta be something going on there.

Last edited:
Here's what I have. It hit 1400 with decent air cooling. Take a look at my sig to see what I'm doing to it now. btw, my overclocks all run Prime95 stable for at least an hour (before I shut it off.)

AMD Athlon
A1200AMSC3
AXIA0119MPM
40B60760120
1999 AMD

The AXIA "9" is a good stepping. Not the best but a good one. Don't expect to hit 1.6GHz with though, unless you are gonne push more than 2,1V through that chip. I can't even get mine stable at 1510MHz @2.05V. With good watercooling and 1.85V, I think you'll get around 1500-1550MHz.

Back