• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

router problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darth

i recently bought a dlink router (DI-704p) and a couple of nics. i followed the installation guide like a good boy and it doesnt work! i have a two computer set up, one with XP and the other with win 98. both computers cannot access the internet but when i go to dos and type "ping (ip address of router)" on both computers i get a nice friendly response saying that both computers can communicate with the router. im using ADSL, and the two nics i was using were the dlink 530 TX.

What do u think guys?

I am not familiar with DSL, but I have a cable modem with a router. With my cable modem, I had to change the MAC address of the router to match the MAC address of my primary computer NIC card. This way, the cable company thinks my router is my NIC card.

Using the router setup screens, can you tell if the router has received an IP address (if you are using DHCP and not a fixed address)?

using DHCP

i cloned the mac address for my win 98 computer, but now i cant even communicate my win xp computer with my router. could that be the result of plugging and unplugging my adsl modem and router to my computer?

Yes, it could be related to that. You may have to reboot the XP computer. Can the 2 computers see each other? Have they ever been able to see each other?

Can either computer access the internet now?

only this computer can access the internet because i disconnected my modem from my router and connected it to this computer. otherwise i cant access internet with either computer. and no, my computers cant see each other

Shocker is correct. Logon to the router and see if it is getting the ip, sub mask,gateway, and dns. If it is not, then try powering down the modem and router. You may have to even unplug the modem and router for 1 minute to reset them. Then power up the modem first and let it connect to the dsl, and then power up the modem. Then logon to the router again and see if it got the info.

I assume you are using the Win98 computer to talk with us, since that is the MAC address you cloned.

A few things to check when setting up your router/network

Firstly make sure all the machines are on the same workgroup.

If you are running XP, turn the built in firewall off. Norton personall firewall and zonealarm should also be turned off during setup of a network aswell.

Make sure that all the machines are set to get their ips from the DHCP server built into most routers. In windows you just select properties for tcp/ip and make sure it is set to get ip automatically.

When XP/2K share the same network as 95/98/Me you must add the user names from the 9x machines to the XP/2K machines.

For cable connections your router must be set to spoof the mac address of the NIC your connect was installed to (As the guys mentioned above)

DART...

I just finished the same thing and this is how you do it. First make sure the router is hooked up and all that good stuff.

Ok to setup the Network using XP and 98... Go to the XP machine and click on the network Wizard. It will go through a list of things and you should come to a screen that will ask you if you would like to create a network disk using a Floppy or Zip disk. YESSS>...create the network disk from XP.

Now go to the 98 Machine and pop in the disk and run the network setup from the Floppy. This will configure the settings to be the same as the one on XP.

Thats how I set it up... Good Luck

Back