• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pelting a 166 pentium to get 200.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glass

(long story skip to end if you dont care)
So, i got this second computer i use for irc, browsing and fileserver(i run debian gnu/linux on it), i had a p133 on it, couldnt find the jumpers for divider/fsb(it's an oem box i got for free, no manuals). everything was ok.

so a little later i got this aptiva from my friend for pocket change(including monitor and ****) which was a 166mhz, so i figured what the h*ll, i'll switch it to be my irc/fileserver machine, but aptiva's bios turned out to be a complete b***ch, it wouldnt boot the linux from bootloader no matter what, neither computers bioses support 30gig disks btw, so i got 512mb disk for the bootloader.) frustrated i then started fiddling more with the oem box i had earlier and found some new jumpers under the network card, 'yiihaa, these are them', so i managed to find the settings for 200mhz, after trial and error and going through 75,125 150 and others).

too bad the 166cpu turned out to be crappy in terms of overclocking, it wouldn't boot to linux @200mhz when using the 133's cooler(DOH! it was smaller than chipset cooler), so i threw the 166's own cooler in. this time it booted to linux but it would do segfaults compiling the kernel so i had to think something better.

so i have this peltier i've had no use for in my duron(grr, i have to get a coldplate to do some testing). i threw it in between the cpu and heatsink. little stabler, would go little further compiling the kernel, ran web browser&irc stable.. but not stable enough because it still segfaulted compiling the kernel.

'now where did i put that cooler i got with my duron??'
after little swearing i managed to put it on using the standard clip which i twisted a little. woohoo!! it works! STABLE! and got some extra mem from the aptiva too.

ok, i have no temps (of course, like i had sysdoc on that) i'd guess the pelts wattage to be 50-70w(i don't know for sure, i found it under my bed, really) and it's got it's own psu(which supplies it at 12.1v, i have no idea what volts the cpu runs at(there's some jumpers i can't figure any use for). i haven't yet insulated it, at full load i don't think it's cold enough to condense anything tho.

if anyone got some manuals for oem boards that use opti-viper chipset and got ati mach64 integrated i could use them ;)

btw, the oem computer that now has the pelt and is at 200mhz is shown at: http://jussila.adsl.netsonic.fi/~glass/rack/

Wow, I thought 166s were usually easier than that to get a bit out of. I don't think you need go to a pelt though.

Usually, any generic socket A or socket 370 heatsink with a clip is GREAT for overclocking old pentiums. The supplied coolers in OEM machines are often very marginal.

Ewwww, opti viper chipset, that was a nasty one. Integrated Mach 64 is not bad for it's era though. If you get the bios code from the bottom of the bios flash screen at boot. I can help you identify the board.

regards,

Road Warrior

yeah i know it should be an easy oc, i did couple of oc's from 166 to 200 when they were current hardware, i might have the volts set to hell for all i know while fiddling with the jumpers.. well, at least i have some use for the pelt now :)

i'll try to get the bios code, i gotta boot the machine anyways now that i got the kernel compiled.

ICL Mach64CT-C2 PCI BIOS REL E
ICL System BIOS #54 Version 1.01
(c) copyright international computers limited

after that the memcheck and thats just about it what the bios says, no other id codes even as much flash.. oh well.

Back