• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wakw on LAN? HELP!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djc007

Registered
Heya, I'm getting broadband soon (lucky me!) and when it's installed in my other PC downstairs i'm going to network it so as to share an internet connection. Trouble is the other PC will have to be on all the time, and i'd want it to shut it down after a set period of inactivity. I was going to use Wake-on-LAN but i'm not sure how you use it. I have 2 networks cards that both have the cables to the motherboard so when a signal is recieved the computer switches on - ( am i right?) or do I need a specific program? I couldn't get it to work when I first off tried the network. I can't see a connection to my PC with the WOL conncetion on my mobo, so i didn't use it on for that one, but had the cable connected to the network card downstairs with the WOL connection in place. I couldn't get it to fire up. DO i need to use both WOL connections in order to get it to work? or is it that i'm not using any specific sotware to tell it to boot up when there is a network request?
your help would be invaluable,
thanks,
Dan:)

usually there is an eprom chip slot on the nic, you need to get a WOL chip. Unfortuantly I dont kknow where to get one sorry. That's about all I know about it.

there is a little slot where a cable comes out of the NIC, it's finding it on my motherboard, do I need to connect both cards to the WOL connection on my mobo before this WOL works?

is there a place for the WOL cable to plug into the mobo of the comp you want to turn on? i think you only need the cable hooked up if you want the computer to turn on but i think both nic have to support WOL but i may be wrong

yes, there is a WOL connection on the mobo of the computer I want to switchon/off. Any software recommendations? or any help? thankyou!

Back