• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duron v Tbird...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
lonewolf is very right. More so if you overclock to 133 fsb or higher. The P3 is severly bottlenecked by the SDR memory. Since the Durons have the XP core then easily beat out P3s. My sandra benchmarks are far superior then the P3 1 ghz references, and the P4 1.6 ghz (although Im sure the reference is not a Northwood)

#18 said:
may even slower

"may".

see that?

Didn't say PIII 1ghz is "much" better.

I meant Duron below 1.3GHZ could be 1. a little slower 2. about the same

You don't want to spend another several hundred $$ for something like that which don't even give you a feeling of performance increase compare to your old system, do you?

Besides, PIII has higher work done per clock than even xp. I've seen the test resaults of a PIII 1GHZ is about the same or even outperform compare to P4 1.5GHZ, how much GHZ you think will take a XP to equal match the P4 1.5GHZ? probably around 1.3GHZ. With this resault, how can you be so centain a duron 1.3GHZ is much better than PIII 1GHZ? You mean duron is more efficient than althon XP with the same clock speed?? I don't think so.

the duron 1ghz's trounce all p3's (non tulatins)
all durons above 1ghz use the morgan core based on the XP

he may indeed not notice a performance difference,but since he is going to upgrade his mobo and graphics card, this will induce a performance boost
with 1ghz+ durons around $40 US its a bargain

i dont think that the p3 has higher work done per clock cycle
the old athlon used to beat the p3,and the XP has core enhancements such as SSE now

the low end p4's have shocking performance
if your p3 beats a p4 1.5ghz
and a duron 1ghz beats your p3
i think that answers your question

and no the duron does not do more work than the XP
similar,but not quite there
they both beat the p3...

#18 said:

You are mistaken. What you posted is not a desktop PC. It's for servers. You don't need that for downloading MP3 or gaming.

Right now a top line PC(with AMD's CPU) only cost $600 to$700 without monitor.
Defination of "top line" in my theory is----------every part is within the 4th best.

It can be consider a server if you want, but Dell is offering it as a desktop,(build your own system) with all the parts that you can choose, and i did say top of the line according to them....

I not saying i can out bench a XP 1600+ but in all the test my CPU comes very shy of it but certainly better then a PIII 1 ghz by all means. With my video bottlenecking my system my 3D Mark 2001 score is only in the 4,000 but still higher then 1ghz P3 using a GEforce 2 GTS.

T-birds and Morgans are almost dead even at the same clock speed. The 1GHz Morgan is a steal right now for about $42 shipped. Most will reach about 1200MHz. This will be the same as a 1.2GHz t-bird, but run cooler, use less power and have SSE optimization as well as data prefetch. I clocked my bird down to the same speed as my kids Morgan, and at 1242MHz the t-bird edged out the Morgan by 100 points in 3DMark 2001 in the same system.

"VISIONTEK Xtasy 5632 GEFORCE2 GTS-V 4X/2X 32MB DDR AGP - OEM
This VGA card offers high performance based on the GeForce2 GTS-V chipset and 32mb 256 bit DDR memory. Visiontek is the only Nvidia board partner to offer this card."

This is from NewEgg.com only $46 + shipping, will be much better then any GeForce2 mx. ^_^

gtsimmo said:
I not saying i can out bench a XP 1600+ but in all the test my CPU comes very shy of it but certainly better then a PIII 1 ghz by all means. With my video bottlenecking my system my 3D Mark 2001 score is only in the 4,000 but still higher then 1ghz P3 using a GEforce 2 GTS.

First, did you run the test with two system have everything exectly the same expect the CPUs?
Second, 3Dmark is a FSB sensitive program. Duron has 100x2=200FSB. And PIII has 133FSB. 3DMark only tells you what your system can do in 3D games. As the starter of thread said, the purpose of the new system is for MP3 and Sims.

So, you should take a look of the profermance of these two processors in other programs.

Quite frankly, if you're not upgrading to an athlon XP or better, I doubt the performance differance will be all that noticable. I'm not saying a 1.3g duron won't outperform a 1g P3, but I'm asking if you'll really notice the differance. As far as upgrades go, I strongly suggest just getting a better P3 board or going all the way to a 1600xp (>$90 shipped on pricewatch.)

new_novice said:

It can be consider a server if you want, but Dell is offering it as a desktop,(build your own system) with all the parts that you can choose, and i did say top of the line according to them....

Desktop server or desktop workstation. NOT desktop PC.

Again, nobody needs 4 SCSI hdd 73 gb and 4 Gig PC800 just for web bowse, MP3, or gaming! Multiple hard disks and that much RAM will probably slow you down.

That is for servers, high traffic servers.

Last edited:
#18 said:

First, did you run the test with two system have everything exectly the same expect the CPUs?
Second, 3Dmark is a FSB sensitive program. Duron has 100x2=200FSB. And PIII has 133FSB. 3DMark only tells you what your system can do in 3D games. As the starter of thread said, the purpose of the new system is for MP3 and Sims.

So, you should take a look of the profermance of these two processors in other programs.

does it really matter?
gaming is the main performance use of this pc
3dmark like games is fsb dependent
so the duron is faster

You still don't get it.

I said that the guy who started this thread had said the purpose of the new system he is going to buy is for ------------MP3 and Sims. NOOOO 3D games.
Why even bother to use 3Dmark to test it??

who knows the next generations of sim may use alot of memory speed. Anyway even if sim aint a 3d intensive game, it is a game none the less, and games use memory to store info like any other program. There by faster front side bus will make the difference. Sub 200 or 266 FSB is yesterday's technology, it's time to progress

anyway it was a good debate, good for her, AMD all the way. Just wish they would release the T-bred already. Note my buddy has a 1 ghz cel on a 100 FSB and his sandra mem bench is minimal to say the least compared to 266 FSB

Last edited:
drdingo21 said:
I am building the woman a new computer, and have to keep cost as low as possible, now my question is will there be a big differnce between a tbird and a duron? she uses it for games, and mp3s and school work...

#18 i think the word GAMES is there
:)

and yes, AMD all the way!
hope it goes well

drdingo21 said:
she doesn't runa lot of games mainly just the Sims... she is upgrading from a pIII 1 gig....

You need to see that too.

(another note: Duron has only 64k L2 cache)

And stop thinking as a "first person shooting" gamer.

Last edited:
the duron has 64k of L2 cache and 128k of L1
this is exclusive for a total of 192k of cache
p3 has 32k of L1 and 256k of L2
this is inclusive for a total of 256k

the difference isnt great
im stopping this thread now as the guy has decided to go with an XP, and is happy and dont want to start a flame war
:)

drdingo21 said:
well orgnially i built an xp1600 with ecs board, 24x10x40 cdrw, 512 pc133mb of ram, case and 400 watt psu, GF2 mx400, and a 60 gb hd...the total was 418... but then i seen that the 1 ghz duron were like 40... so it made me rethink and since i never owned a duron but know they are slower i was wondering if there was a big performance hit, what do you think

DDR Ram is what makes AMD Xps.

Back