• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duron v Tbird...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eh?

I am building the woman a new computer, and have to keep cost as low as possible, now my question is will there be a big differnce between a tbird and a duron? she uses it for games, and mp3s and school work...

Mp3s and homework do not Challenge todays computers so the real question is what kinda of games is she goin run?

T birds eats alot of voltage and tends to run hot. A duron 1 to 1.3 Ghz is a really great deal at about 50 to 70 dollars for a retail box. In my opinion they are a better deal. They overclock decent too.

she doesn't runa lot of games mainly just the Sims... she is upgrading from a pIII 1 gig....

I dont see why she would need any upgrade at all, a 1 gz P3 should be able to handle anything she needs it to. Maybe you should convince her to upgrade to a larger hard drive, for the MP3, or more ram is always better. Or if she using 56K she should spend it on a DSL or cable line, that would make downloading MP3's alot faster. Oh, you have one COOL system

gtsimmo said:
I dont see why she would need any upgrade at all, a 1 gz P3 should be able to handle anything she needs it to. Maybe you should convince her to upgrade to a larger hard drive, for the MP3, or more ram is always better. Or if she using 56K she should spend it on a DSL or cable line, that would make downloading MP3's alot faster. Oh, you have one COOL system
thanks! she needs an upgrade because the board has a maxium of 256mb of ram, no agp, and 1 free pci slot... shes on cable and its about time for an upgrade and her dad is gonna get her old computer..

I didn't know such a board even existed that could support a 1ghz P3. Then a Duron with a Geforce 4 MX should do. Get a nice cheap mobo with built in audio, and DDR based on a K266 should do just nice. It doesnt look like your a novice so what was your first idea? A K266 or K333 board will give her some room to upgrade to an Athlon later on

Last edited:
gtsimmo said:
I didn't know such a board even existed that could support a 1ghz P3. Then a Duron with a Geforce 4 MX should do. Get a nice cheap mobo with built in audio, and DDR based on a K266 should do just nice. It doesnt look like your a novice so what was your first idea?
well orgnially i built an xp1600 with ecs board, 24x10x40 cdrw, 512 pc133mb of ram, case and 400 watt psu, GF2 mx400, and a 60 gb hd...the total was 418... but then i seen that the 1 ghz duron were like 40... so it made me rethink and since i never owned a duron but know they are slower i was wondering if there was a big performance hit, what do you think

I'm pretty proud of my $50 processor, In sandra CPU test, I benched pass the P4 1.4 ghz refernces. I was just a tid bit shy of the xp1600+ Great deal for less then what you pay for some games. And always room to get a Athlon later on, in a week or two Im gonna get a GF4 Ti4600 and see what I do compared to a XP 1600+ and P4 Northwoods

durons above 1ghz are based on the XP core and are very speedy
my 1.2 is just as fast as my old tbird 1.4 was
and it runs cooler with a much quieter fan
looks the best option for you
:)

If you want duron, make sure go with 1.3GHZ. Anything lower may even slower than 1GHZ PIII. A PIII 1GHZ is about the same performance as P4 1.5GHZ.
As you said you want something better than PIII 1 GHZ and not expansive, And i think Athlon XP 1800 or 1700 are better deals than duron if you look at the price : performance. Those two are both below $100.

If she is using it just for games like the sims, then save yourself money and get a GF 2 MX 400 64MB for about half the price of a GF 4 MX and you'll probably never see the performance diff.

I use a GF 2 MX 400 and it gives me more than playable framerates in any game I ever threw at it.

Just my $0.02

Good luck wioth whatever you choose :D

#18 said:
As you said you want something better than PIII 1 GHZ and not expansive, And i think Athlon XP 1800 or 1700 are better deals than duron if you look at the price : performance. Those two are both below $100.

where???

Take a look by yourself at

http://www.pricewatch.com

If you go with OEM, there some xp1700 and 1800 below $100. Retail version is another story, but still not much more than an OEM. The cheapest OEM althon XP1900 on pricewatch is only $120, which will be superior compare to Duron 1.3GHZ, and I say its price will be below $100 too within a month. You don't want something outdate soon, do you?

Here is one $94 XP1700
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=19-103-305

And here is a $133 XP1900(i am sure it will be below $100 within a month)
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=19-103-317

Last edited:
you guys are comparing just the chips... she needs a new motherboard to.. an xp1600 with an ecs baord is 120...

cool thanks, consider it's a budget machine, why need top of the line??

check this thing out.

DELL OUTRAGOUS MACHINE

edit: well i guess that link didn't show the whole thing, but when I tried to see what would a top the line machine looks like from them propiertory,......cost around 21,000.00 (yes in dollars)

dual 2.4 xeon
24 in. CRT
(not even a top of the line graphic card that you can choose)
4 SCSI hdd 73 gb
4 Gig PC800
UPS

very expensive, I wonder if somebody even thinking about buying that thing....

new_novice said:
cost around 21,000.00 (yes in dollars)

dual 2.4 xeon
24 in. CRT
(not even a top of the line graphic card that you can choose)
4 SCSI hdd 73 gb
4 Gig PC800
UPS

very expensive, I wonder if somebody even thinking about buying that thing....

You are mistaken. What you posted is not a desktop PC. It's for servers. You don't need that for downloading MP3 or gaming.

Right now a top line PC(with AMD's CPU) only cost $600 to$700 without monitor.
Defination of "top line" in my theory is----------every part is within the 4th best.

you are incorrect about durons below 1.3ghz being inferior to a pIII 1ghz in performance

any duron above 1ghz will easily match and beat a 1ghz p3 in any benchmark,due largely to the more efficient core and better memory bandwidth due to the 200mhz bus

Back