• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DOS attacks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
Hey all,

I have a good problem here at work. Our LAN is a 1.1MB ADSL (Covad line) using a Netopia Router, a SonicWall Pro firewall, a D-Link DSS24+ 'smart' switch, and W2K adv. server running DHCP, DNS, and NAT. The LAN is connected to our bosses home via a T-1 line via Cisco 1000 routers.

So here's the problem: I have an end user on the other side of the T-1 who has three G4's and running his own subnet of DHCP addresses and he is getting hammered by DOS attacks.

I have no idea how his G4's are being singled out, or how the packets are getting through our gateway router, the switch, the local Cisco, the T-1, the WAN Cisco, his Linksys router/switch.

Anyone know how an attack can single out a particular set of machines through two subnets of DHCP? I'm assuming it's a MAC address thing, or maybe there are these packets cruising my network without my knowledge which would mean I'd need a quick, easy, and hopefully free program to test LAN traffic.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wedo

Is he really being DOS'd? Or are his own DHCP requests hammering his own bandwidth? Are the routes in the Cisco correct and proper?

I don't think he is being dos'd. If that Cisco is setup right then either he's not subnetted right, or something on the inside is dos'ing him.

What makes you think he is being dos'd? I mean do you have solid proof, or just a lack of connectivity being mistaken as a dos?

are the IPs public? or are you using one of the private ones:
192.168.*.*
10.*.*.*

if you are using one of the private ones, then it's something inside that's doing it..
-did i mention that G4s suck at networking? if anyone decides to fire up the 'chooser' then it'll flood the network...
also check that you don't have any protocols installed that you don't need installed.

if you are using public/external IPs, then anyone in the world can single them out.

if you need to watch the network, fire up a console on the cisco router, go into enable mode, and debug all ***NOTE: HORRIBLE PERFORMANCE IMPACT!!!! ***, but you'll see everything that the router is doing... no debug all to turn it off

Back