• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

General queries before I go spending cash...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanFraser

Thought this topic would be best suited to go in this forum, as it does include networking (my first)...

I currently have the comp in my sig up and running 24/7 (well, if my family would stop switching it off that is)

Now I would like to add this computer to my 'collection' to help in crunching SETI, and when I get ADSL, for the rest of my family to go to a monitor, turn it on, and browse (box seperate so they cant turn it off!)... First of all, just for my own peace of mind, heres the parts I have/going to order to be able to build it fully, tell me if I am missing something!

1.4GHz T-Bird (HSF order)
256MB DDR Ram (order)
TNT2 GFX card
12.5GB HDD (if it is still alive, I think it may have died, but we will find out!)
300W PSU (or is it 350W? cant remember)
Case, of course!
CD Drive
Floppy drive
IDE Cables, and floppy cable

Thats what I have got...

Now for the networking part... Could I buy two NICs and use a cross over cable? I am going to setup ICS on the second comp, so SETI can transmit, and when I get ADSL, the family can browse... Is that possible? Is it difficult to do a cross over setup? Any tips/advice? All comments welcome... even if its a plain and simple good luck etc!

Off to bed now anyways... I wanna see loads of posts when I go into work tomorrow! Thx!

Correct, You will need two network cards in the computer connected to ADSL for ICS. You do not need a crossover cable, unless you just want to connect one computer to another. You need a regular network cable.

In your list of parts you did not mention a motherboard.

Yeah, just two comps together... So a cross over would be fine?

TNT2 - Not a gaming machine, seti cruncher!

ICS should not be too difficult to setup. Of course, the computer connected to the DSL line has to be up and running for the second computer to access the internet. Do you think you would add any additional computers to your network in the future? If so, you might consider getting a network switch or router. You can get one pretty cheap. A router would also add a hardware firewall to your setup.

Back