• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FF doesn't always mean dead Mobo...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If it cycles through lots of codes and ends up at FF thats a Final Succesful boot, mine doesn't Boot at all and doesn't cycle through anything, it just says FF.

M_N

myn said ff when my t-bird died did not cycle

u should see the back of the blasted thing!!!!
i ran with the side off for 10 mins "whats that smell??"

but it says ff all the time except when i clock to hard

Getting solid FF before post can mean various things.

At worst dead motherboard or CPU.

Sometimes a dead bios chip.

Ive had mine get stuck at FF after trying to overclock too far and causing a particually nasty crash.

Both my 8kha+ that died were left with FF on the Led's

I got the FF on my 8k7a when my vid card was dead. I threw a ghetto pci one in there to check if it would boot and it did. I suggest trying that before you go order a new CPU (although nowadays the CPU is way cheaper than the vid card)

I had a problem where my CPU wasnt well seated and I didnt know, it only posted FF without going through a series of code... in the process of finding what was my problem, i removed CPU and booted, it gave same thing, so i guessed it was CPU. Then I reseated it and it worked normaly going through the boot code series and posting.

It doesnt mean dead bios tho, a dead bios wouldnt even show FF, it possibly means dead CPU or unseated CPU.

I had got that when a cirquit on the board had burned. I got a new case and overlooked one of the screws that support the mobo! (yes yes, I know...) I guess there can be alot of reasons for it, but basicly that's what you allways get. I figured it must mean "fully functional"?

Nick i tested that board in my setup before i sent it too you, the board is fine, its gotta be something else...
and FF=fully functional (not always true:))

-Malakai

Malakai said:
Nick i tested that board in my setup before i sent it too you, the board is fine, its gotta be something else...
and FF=fully functional (not always true:))

-Malakai

Thanks Mal, new CPU on the way! (Not yet but when I get $$$;))

so, in general, we could say that FF means everything is working fine, or there is a problem, or there is a serious problem...:rolleyes:

so, FF really means NOTHING!:eek:

in my experience, FF either means Fully Functional if it boots right. Otherwise, Friggin Fried=FF.

I think that "FF" only means that the led is working correctly.

Seriously, with a couple of 8KHA+ boards myself, I think that Epox could do a better jof of explaining what each code does mean, there is a lot of speculation out there on this. I think I've gotten them all on at least one occasion.

FF is the Final Code in the hexi-decimal series, thus when FF is reached all the checks have been passed = Successful Boot.

However FF is also at the beginning of the Hexidecimal series, so if there are no other codes before finally resting on FF then you have a serious problem.

M_N

Back