• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

switching from 98SE to XP pro need input

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elder

Im making the switch!..hoping im doing the right thing....Now with a fresh install of win98se im real familiar with the order of installation( os, then via 4in1's, vid drivers, sound etc) But what is the best order of installation for xp pro?...ive read stuff about not installing the Via 4in1's? ,,,what about the refresh problem where can a get the best "fix" for this when should i install it? ... im going to go find all the xp drivers for my hardware and install xp in a bit!
thx for any help

Now with a fresh install of win98se im real familiar with the order of installation( os, then via 4in1's, vid drivers, sound etc)
That is usually the order I go in for XP Pro. 4-in-1's, video, sound, MBM, Nero. All the installs that need to be followed by a reboot I do first, although there is no one way that is set in stone. Good luck on your install.

well i got it installed....little scarry..a got a few errors...some files not being able to be copied( yes i purchased the cd at staples :)) but in the end they were all copied.. so its installed ..i dled the via 4.38 drivers and installed them.... xp didnt like them or how i installed them? i had to go back it an earlier save of winxp...hummm any sugestions? i just dl'ed the 4.38's and since its self excuting i did that...is there a right way?

I didn't have a problem installing the 4-in-1's (same version as you, on my Abit VH6T). Might be more of a motherboard compatability issue than an XP one. But the copy errors throw up a red flag. Have you checked your memory? You said you were running 98 before. 98 doesn't have the memory management of an NT-based system, so you may just now be seeing those errors (I'm assuming you did the install at default speeds, non-overclocked?). File copying errors are the number one sign of memory errors with XP. Now you have some problems installing the 4-in-1's. Try installing with one stick of RAM. Also run memtest86 from DOS to check your RAM for errors.

Back