• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual PSU How-Tos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay. So Do i Dare do it? Have Dual 600 watt Corsairs

Powering 2 6 core xeons in an SR-2 OC'ed with dual 590's

Still Kickin'.....But Am I Still All There?

Heh, been awhile!
No time long see!

I'm just getting ready to try a dual-powersupply set-up using the Add2Psu adaptor. I've been getting the feeling lately that I'm topping out my powersupply, so I thought I'd give it a try.
I'm working with a 750w & a 430w. I'm thinking about the 430w for the motherboard and the 750w for the rest.

I figure 430watts is plenty for the ASUS Z97-AR & the Intel i5-4670k 3.4GHz @ 4.5GHz.
That leaves 750watts for videocards, drives, cpu watercooling, and 10 fans.

Any thoughts?

You're not even close to topping out a 750w psu. Not even remotely close. Theres no "guessing" if you're psu isnt up to the task, it just wont work. Soon as you get any load at all, your computer will turn off.

Agreed with Bob, from my guess you are pulling approximately (GPUs = 219x2 (438), CPU [OCed] = 100w, mobo+ram = 25w [guessing, and that's probably overestimating], fans+hdds+etc = 25-30w) = 550-575W if everything was at 100% load (highly doubtful outside of intense multi-benchmarking)

You're not even close to topping out a 750w psu. Not even remotely close. Theres no "guessing" if you're psu isnt up to the task, it just wont work. Soon as you get any load at all, your computer will turn off.

The P.S.U. Calculator I viewed recommended 824watts.
The reason I ask, is on boot-up, there seems to be a notable load/draw on the electrical system.
I can hear an audible "click" (sounds like an overload relay) coming from (what sounds like) the 750w powersupply.
This is a brand new motherboard, but the same sound was happening with the less-than-1-year-old ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 motherboard before it just stopped powering up last week.

I thought this powersupply experiment would eliminate the powersupply as the source of the sound/draw...and it don't cost me nuthin'.
And besides, a motherboard (or videocards) with it's own dedicated powersupply appeals to me on some level. :shock:

are you using both psus now through the add2psu?

I will be this Sunday.
I'm just finishing cutting-in another (stock) power supply receptacle into the back of my computer.
I will than internally hardwire the second power supply to that new receptacle.
That way i'll just have 2 stock power supply receptacles out the back requiring the same stock cord (x2) as every other desktop power supply on earth.
Neat & tidy.

P.S. I also just upgraded my video cards a little today; Went from 2-GTX275 superclocked to 2-GTX560 superclocked.
Not a big jump, but atleast I have finally moved into the wonderful world of DX11....:)

Last edited:
Back