Thread: Idea for WC

Idea for WC

This may have been done/thought of/played out before, but has anyone considered using a water cooler for a WC setup? I'm talking about the water coolers for drinking water. This is a decidedly low-tech approach to a chiller but see no reason why this wouldn't work. Here are some thoughts.

Pros:
    These things can be picked up (even rented!) for not a lot of cash.
    Simple
    Would not require a changing PSU (like a pelt)
    Could be adjusted to keep the water very cool but above the point of condensation
    No radiator needed
    HUGE reservoir
    Simple tank to pump to blocks system
    Probably cheaper - would eliminate radiator and pelt from equation.

Cons:
    Would need a hella pump
    Longer lines
    Sides of tank are thin - not insurmountable but still a consideration
    Disable spouts so some jackazz doesn't accidentally get a drink of distilled water and watter wetter.
    Moving system would be a total PITA. (Unless quick disconnects of some type were involved.)

Thinking about a return line to the top of the jug and pulling cooled water from the bottom of the jug at the coldest point.

Hmmm.... Thoughts, opinions, jeers?

If you use the 'search' button you will find numerous discussions on this very topic.

i had an Oasis electric water-chiller hooked up to my system for about a year it worked great but wife said it was too ugly so its been replaced by a fridge. condensation is a problem, i shorted a very nice 1.2 retail AMD cause i didnt insulate the block, cpu etc.
    i found mine at a yard sale best $5 ive spent on cooling yet if they just looked a lil nicer...

Originally posted by sneakyfart
    i had an Oasis electric water-chiller hooked up to my system for about a year it worked great but wife said it was too ugly so its been replaced by a fridge. condensation is a problem, i shorted a very nice 1.2 retail AMD cause i didnt insulate the block, cpu etc.
    i found mine at a yard sale best $5 ive spent on cooling yet if they just looked a lil nicer...
    I wonder what your wife would say if you got one of those giant twister things that pepsi is making.