• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

video bios????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yes, it is possible but you need to save it as a file first, then to open the file using some bios editor. anything you change you will need to reflash the video card with the newer modified file so the change can take effect.

if that doesnt sound like the dodgiest thing ever...

if theres one more thing for me to do and brake in my pc, that would be it...

unlike the mainboard bios, i think the video bios should only be modified and flashed in the case there is a problem you cant fix by another way.

oTTO said:
unlike the mainboard bios, i think the video bios should only be modified and flashed in the case there is a problem you cant fix by another way.

But, unlike most motherboard bios, if you slap a PCI vid card for booting up, you can always reflash the backup/unaltered version you made and be right back up and running (assuming your mistake didn't damage a component ;) ).

Mhypertext said:
do i get the bios as an image file

Something like that, I personally have never done it, only read about it... ask silversinksam, a moderator here, he has some experience with video card bios files ;)

Mhypertext, here's what you do.

Download the nVidia BIOS Editor.

Go here for a list of several different BIOS's, or load your own from memory (the editor does this for you)

Change what you want changed (signon, font, clk/mem timings, etc.), and save the file as a .ROM

Download the nVFlash Utility.

Move the nVFlash utility and the .rom file to your root drive (C:/)

Reboot to DOS mode, and type c:/nvflash ***.rom (where *** is the name of your .rom file)

Simple, huh?

id recommend you to save your original bios first, you can do that using the program SAVEBIOS ("make dump" in the ray adams download section).
also you should get the program VGABIOS, this will load the newer bios first so you can check for any compatibility issue. id say this one is a must.

if youre interested on reading some information about editing the video bios, there is an article here.

I have never edited a video card bios. But I have flashed it numerous time's. I have also flashed with a wrong bios as well. But was able to recover from it. It's really not much different then flashing the bios on a motherboard.

I had good results just flashing my card's bios with the newest version.

Back