• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

flashing bios of kt7a

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
go here .it tells you all you need to know,and is much easier than the way the manual says to do it.

here is what I do.

step 1. Reconfigure all overclocks back to default settings.
step 2. hardboot system so it's clean.
step 3. sys a diskette
step 4. boot machine with the boot disk you just created. (no tsr programs or another things being loaded. 100% clean boot disk.
step 5. run the flash from the harddrive or floppy doesn't matter.
step 6. power down machine. Unplug machine and reset cmos jumper on motherboard. wait 1 min.

step 7. set cmos jumper to correct setting, replug machine. fire up machine.

in between step 4 and 5, offer prayer to the motherboard gods. Peak out window for possible thunderstorms or other electrical interuptions. Cross figures.

here is how I flash my bios

follow this...should work no problems. I tried to put it in understandable order and words

Steps for flashing Bios

1- download the Bios from Abit website to a new folder on your hard drive ( it will be in .exe format)
2-double click the file you just downloaded. A dos box will open saying inflating files.
3-look to the folder that you downloaded the bios to. Now there will be 5 more files
4- move those files to a formatted floppy disk
5-Restart the computer
6-Get your computer to show the command promp screen (safe mode screen)with the DOS diskette in the floppy drive
7-At the A: prompt, type DIR to check the files on the floppy disk. Assuming all the files in Item 1 of this list are present, go to the next step
8-At the A: prompt type runme.bat
9-The utility will ask you to confirm a number of things, and will then automatically flash the BIOS with the correct parameters. Once it has finished go to the next step.
10-Press F1 to reset, then immediately press DEL to go into BIOS, then please:
11-Go into CPU SoftMenuIII to adjust your CPU speed and voltage (please make sure the CPU voltage matches your CPU specs)
12-The Bios will be in a defualt setting mode.go to "load optimized defualts" and load them. Then,go thru each menu and change the desired settings.
13-Save and Exit
You're done.

Great guides by everyone here:beer: So did you get to FLASH your BIOS or is it dead right now?

If your still a little unsure then here is what I do after downloading the BIOS rev. from ABIT & opening it in a folder;
  • Make a bootable floppy by c:\ format a: /s(that's in DOS)
  • Copy the AwdFlash, the .bin file(BIOS), Abitfae & the Runme(you don't need all that but just to be sure)
  • Shut Down & then clear your CMOS
  • Enter the BIOS & make sure everything is set to default & set your floppy as 1st boot device
  • A:\AWDFLASH
  • KT7_7N.BIN(in the awdflash screen)
  • Hope you don't get a power failure while your waiting for it to finnish
  • Reboot & enter the BIOS, set everything to default then save & exit. All done.
NEVER SWITCH YOUR SYSTEM OFF AFTER YOU FLASH. Just so that if you need to do a recovery you can:beer:

Back