• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit KT7A and Athlon XP 1800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
no not officially except the 1.3 which has 3 new bios updates than the other revisions.
it seems abit is now completely ignoring all but the 1.3 version.it seems to me that this would be cause for an rma considering that it doesn,t support current socket a chips like it states in its own manual.

shadowdr said:
no not officially except the 1.3 which has 3 new bios updates than the other revisions.
it seems abit is now completely ignoring all but the 1.3 version.it seems to me that this would be cause for an rma considering that it doesn,t support current socket a chips like it states in its own manual.

Interesting. It does say that doesn't it. Too bad mine's voltage modded or I may call em' on it.

So in theory you could slap a Xp2100 in a 1.0 ? I have bios 7n in this puppy now and that would be a hoot to have a CPU like that in it.

Maestro

yes not just in theory.you would be at the top multiplier however,and overclocking would be difficult considering the 1.0 really only runs stable at a max of 133 fsb.in order to get more the bridges would need to be modified to get the +8 addition to the set multiplier.i dont recall where i saw how this was done but it would be interesting to see how you made out oc'ing it.

There is someone in the Abit Forums running an T-bred XP2200 processor on a Abit KT7A-RAID V1.1 with Bios 7N.

He has the thing running smoothly at 13.5 X 145MHz.

He commeted that as long as you dont unlock the CPU, you can attain the full 13.5X by using the 12> option in the bios 7N.

Crazy stuff. I'm gonna hold out and see how the barton does. I want a Barton in my system :)

1958MHz is the highest I've heard of yet on a KT7A Rev1.1 mobo.

DS-Master

The biggest reason for my great interest in this thread is simple. Abit kinda stiffed people with v1.0 - 1.2 boards. And my goal is to stretch this boards life as long as possible as my next board will be a duallie. IF any of you get any linkage to someone using a XP(whatever) and has benches to back it up or you believe them please post up. I am very close to springing for a new XP for this board in the hopes it will work if not then my only resolve will be to get a KR7A-Raid.

Maestro

how about this.i was the first that i know of to try one on a 1.0 and has been running every since.

Last edited:
I just tried an XP-1800 in my 1.2 board. It worked fine but...
I have it because I'm upgrading a friends old Gateway for him, going from a Celeron 366 to an MSI KT-3 ultra with the XP 1800. Out of curiousity I popped the AGOIA chip in my KT7A R, and it ran great, but I couldn't raise the FSB above default 133, if I did it wouldn't post! My T-bird runs 145 FSB with no problem. I have it in the MSI board, and you can raise the FSB on that board with no problem. I tried raising the voltage and a few other things, but I had no luck. I guess it is getting to be time for a DDR board anyway.

I was considering getting a 1.2 Palomino MP and try and slide it into the mobo. It comes unlocked as I heard and would be interesting to see if it works. For 78 bucks @ newegg not bad ;) I wonder if any else has used a unlocked XP or MP in a KT7A. I know if you bought a high enough speed the board would already be topped out but perhaps a 1500 or 1600 or a MP 1.2 :) Interesting O/C ability.

Maestro

I'd wait a few more months for the XP2300 and XP2400 to come out.

Then, go and pop an XP2200 into the KT7A mobo

Since the KT7A tops out around 145FSB, you gotta get those multipliers up there.

DS-Master

Sonny, Maestro,

Are you guys gonna stick it out like me and see how the Barton CPUs do? I was thinking of slappin an XP2500+ or higher Barton in and raise the Multiplier to 17.5X then raise the FSB to 145MHz.

I dont see the need of a brand new motherboard which would require me to throw away 1024MB of PC133 for DDR, which would really suck!

Untill the Bartons come out, I think I'm gonna stick with my birdy!, howd bout you guyz?

DS-Master

My objective is to stretch this board out as far as I can. If I can skip a mobo upgrade cycle why not. I will hang on to what I got most assuredly. I do believe I have enough life in this board and hopefully this new beta bios I saw posted will expand the CPU range a bit for this board !?!? Do I think this board will handle a Barton I am not sure but the odds are not the greatest I believe. :(

Maestro

Maestro,

I saw a guy on this one news thread earlier this morning that in his sig, says he has a KT7A Revision 1.0 and he had an XP2200+ Thoroughbred. Hmm, if our boards can take a Thoroughbred, it should be capable of a Barton :)

I'm really looking forward to the 512KB L2 cache!!

EDIT: Isnt that 3 phase power thingy that our boards have supposed to strengthen stability at higher overclocks??

DS-Master

an interesting note for those of you with instabilities.if you are using later highpoint drivers like the 2.31 or 2.32's it installs two drivers unlike the original highpoint that came with the mobo.the hptpro.sys and the hpt.3xx.sys.after noticing this i thought that perhaps the hptpro was for the nt 4.0 but installed anyway,so i deleted the file in winnt/system32/drivers folder.this effectively uninstalls the driver.i noticed no difference except i no longer had the infinte loop error at all.i later found a few post in via forums that a couple of guys had also dione this and had acheived stability on their via boards for the first time especially those running the xp os.

yes maestro my chip is partially unlocked i can raise the multiplier but even numbers only.my 1500 easily works @ 11 x 133 with the v-core at 1.675.i beleive that i could get the 11.5 if it was available since it boots at 12x but freezes in bios or at 2000 startup.

Back