• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit ST6 vs VH6t (I couldnt resist)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i am using the retail heatsink with a thin lay of as3. i had lapped the heatsink and relapped it just to be sure it wasn't the heatsink but temp still in the 41 to 53 for both system temp and cpu with overclocking that is. as for the temp i got it from winbond, same from sandra too. as of now my system temp is 43-44c and cpu 48-49c and i considering my system fairly stable no lock up yet on any intensive shooter game or prime95. btw my system has only three fan, one in the ps, video card and cpu. i even opened the case slide but the temp only dropped 1 to 2c . i try blew a 60mm fan to the 815e heatsink but no change in temp. i guess more fan might drop 1 to 2c but unlikely 10c.

billyhill said:
i am using the retail heatsink with a thin lay of as3. i had lapped the heatsink and relapped it just to be sure it wasn't the heatsink but temp still in the 41 to 53 for both system temp and cpu with overclocking that is. as for the temp i got it from winbond, same from sandra too. as of now my system temp is 43-44c and cpu 48-49c and i considering my system fairly stable no lock up yet on any intensive shooter game or prime95. btw my system has only three fan, one in the ps, video card and cpu. i even opened the case slide but the temp only dropped 1 to 2c . i try blew a 60mm fan to the 815e heatsink but no change in temp. i guess more fan might drop 1 to 2c but unlikely 10c.

No case fans except PSU?

After hearing this I am almost fairly positive you temps are right!

That retail HS is only good really to around 1500MHz but also with high temps. Then on top of that you do not have any case fans? My temps would go through the roof if I did that and I have a extra large inwin tower!

I am starting to thin there should be a sticky for the cel-t about cooling too. People just do not understand that these things are putting out more watts than any coppermine ever did OC'd! I think whne I was running 1800MHz my chip was producing around 75w

There have been alot of people lately thinking that they can cool there OC'd cel-t with the retail fan and for some reason they keep asking,

"Why is my chip not OC'n?"

I feel like I am beating my head against a wall trying to help people.

Also the only time you need to lap your HS is when it is not making perfect contact with the core/IHS! You tell this by using a very thin amount of thermal paste and presing it together to see what kind of mark is left. I also use a straight edge on my surfaces and if you see a slight bowl or cup then you ar enot going to get good contact. It can be off by 1/50" and it will affect temps greatly.

I like to etst my CPU to see what its thermal max is. I do this by shuting down case fans or turning the HS fan down a little to like 7v and then close the case. I also use a lower CFM fan at 7v at times too.

{Lately I just found out I can run my HSF at 9v by doing this to test its limits. It didn't crash and the 9v fan was more than enough and really really quiet. You can barely hear it running if you listen up close. I then decided to run it at 7v and it was still stable for along time upto 55 deg. C}

Well back to the "story"

I then turned on sandra and watch my temps with sandra multimedia burnin wiz and and prime 95 running. These running in sync will cause your chip to get hotter than normal usage. Either of them will cause it to get hot by themselves too.

I found out the thermal limit of my CPU right now is 55 deg. C. I am usually runnning it at 42~46(when the room temp is 90+ deg. F like it has been lately). I know then I have some limit to go and would then also know if my CPU is temperature limited.

Last edited:
Who says the rest are reading any different to the Gigabyte? From what i've seen the 'rest' seem to read roughly the same as the Gigabyte and the ABit seems to read slightly higher than the 'rest'.....

BTW....Sorry about the triple post....Taking ages to post a reply here and you get impaitent and keep hitting the 'send reply' button thinking it hasen't worked!!

I've used a thermoprobe connected to my multimeter and it reads CPU temps 1 degree higher than reported by my bios - I have no reasont to doubt it....It's winter here at 8:10 in the morning and my system is ideling at 27 degrees C surfing the net....Compared to the temps I was getting with my overclocked Cumine 1000EB i'd say that's right about on the money.

I'm running the standard, very large, Intel retail HSF and I have 'never' had a problem with temps (and I live in Australia)....But then again anything over 1.6 volts dosen't seem to help my chip gain stability at higher overclocked speeds (and I tried 'that' with a larger cooler).

Last edited:
Well I am still puzzled about my Temps on the St6 mobo. I have tried everything to explain my high readings. No matter what I do they are what they are. I tried the same chip in my Vh6t mobo setup and it reads 8-10c cooler at idle and at loads with the same copper hsf/delta38fan. I even cranked up the air conditioning and got my room temps down to 68 degrees and it did drop eveything about 2c. Heck even right after boot up it reads 41-43c no load in the St6. But only 32-33c in the vh6t mobo. I think that my ST6 mobo just registers higher than actual temps. I know ol'man swears that his are correct but there just is no reason to believe that my readings could be so far off when compared to 2 other motherboards that I own and have run this chip in, all with the same setup except for the mobo swap. I also cranked my chip down to 1.4v @ 1300 and it still ran 41c idle. Oh well I am just going to ad some compensation in mbm5 and forget it until it give me some problems or dies.
I almost forgot but as far as oc'ing any better in the St6 than the Vh6t. It doesnt seem to matter this chip maxes out at [email protected]. This is the same as it did before in the vh6t and it does not like any increase of vcore at all, but it will boot @ default speeds and 1.4v. LIke I said before this 1.3 chip is not a good oc'er. I think I will order a 1.2 chip form newegg and see what it will do compared to may 1.1a and 1.3.

Back