• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit ST6 vs VH6t (I couldnt resist)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davefred99

Well after all this chatter about the p3t and celyt coming out with a new stepping and several posts regarding the performance difference between the p4 norty and the Cely-t chips I decided to buy another Tuly Mobo. So in a weak moment I ordered an Abit ST6 to replace my MSI 6368.
I had been kicking around the idea of building a P4 DDR system but like most p3/celly owners it would require a hole new system. Ram,Cpu,Mobo, Powersupply etc. My justification was that I would like to put together the best possible p3t or Celyt system using the best parts from the two systems I already have and oh ya, probably a new videocard too. I also wanted to see just how much difference there was in the intel 815e chipset in the ST6 and the Via 694t chipset in my VH6t. So within a few days I will be up and running and keep you all posted. I still plan on building a P4 system when I am done and doing benchmark comparisons, but not till I squeeze all I can out of the Tuly.

Hey DaveFred99

What kind of CPU do you have right now?
Also, how can you be sure that you can order a Tualatin Celeron with the New B-1 Stepping? Most vendor won't divert that information out, and most don't even know what a stepping is!

Definitely drop me a PM after you do some test result. I'm real curious just how good the VIA chipset can be. The i815's 512mb memory limitation seem a little cramp!

Also, where about in SouthernCA do you live?

Goodluck, from another "Should I stay with P3 or should I go P4" guy

Peter007 said:
Hey DaveFred99

What kind of CPU do you have right now?
Also, how can you be sure that you can order a Tualatin Celeron with the New B-1 Stepping? Most vendor won't divert that information out, and most don't even know what a stepping is!

Definitely drop me a PM after you do some test result. I'm real curious just how good the VIA chipset can be. The i815's 512mb memory limitation seem a little cramp!

Also, where about in SouthernCA do you live?

Goodluck, from another "Should I stay with P3 or should I go P4" guy

Peer007
I currently have 2 Cely-t chips one is a 1.1a that is currently in my Vh6t mobo @1540 1.8v the other is in my Msi 6368 mobo @1456 1.5v. My intention is to first re-visit my previous attempt @ oc'ing my 1.3 chip in the new ST6 mobo to see if it fairs any better than my previous try in the Vh6t mobo. I never got it to go above 1521 (117fsb stable). Then I will probably switch it with the 1.1a and see if there is any difference between the Vh6t mobo and the St6 mobo. After that I am thinking of trying to find a 1.2 tuly with the new stepping and put it in both mobos to compare the results. Finally when I get all of that testing done and I am satisfied that I have gotten all there is to get out of both setups I will replace one of them with a P4 rig hopefuly a dual bus ddr system if they are avialable by then. this should keep me busy for a while and I really have no pressing need for more speed, its just fun to see how far I can push things.
Oh ya, I live in the Riverside area of Southern California

Well after spending my entire Saturday trying to get My St6 up and running only to find out I have a bad Motherboard. Seems that no matter what I do I can not get into the Cmos settup to set up my system. I tried everything I Know. It will boot and show all of the devices,ram and such but everytime I hit the delete key to go into the bios settings I get a small blue band at the bottom of the screen and thats it. I was able to get in once and tried to set the cpu speeds and such and it locked up, so I cleared the cmos and the same thing. I did try to set the jumpers on the board as there is an optoin to manualy set your cpu bus speeds and disable the bios setup. Nothing worked I could get it to load windows and run at default settings but without being able to set anything in cmos I just decided to can it and Rma it back to mwave. I guess I'll give it another go in about a week when I get a replacement. And I always heard such good reveiws about this motherboard !!!

davefred99 said:
Well after spending my entire Saturday trying to get My St6 up and running only to find out I have a bad Motherboard. Seems that no matter what I do I can not get into the Cmos settup to set up my system. I tried everything I Know. It will boot and show all of the devices,ram and such but everytime I hit the delete key to go into the bios settings I get a small blue band at the bottom of the screen and thats it. I was able to get in once and tried to set the cpu speeds and such and it locked up, so I cleared the cmos and the same thing. I did try to set the jumpers on the board as there is an optoin to manualy set your cpu bus speeds and disable the bios setup. Nothing worked I could get it to load windows and run at default settings but without being able to set anything in cmos I just decided to can it and Rma it back to mwave. I guess I'll give it another go in about a week when I get a replacement. And I always heard such good reveiws about this motherboard !!!

Maybe your battery is bad? I have been hearing weird things about the batteries going bad and that will cause weird anomalies like maybe what you are experiencing! I would try a new battery. I know I had weird problems once too and it ended up being the battery that was bad!

Are all the dipswitches where thwy are supposed to be on the mobo? WHat you are describing to me is what happens almost when I OC my chip too high and it will fail going into the bios! But I know you are not OC'n but it still sounds similar. I wouldn't RMA the board if it is simply the battery;)

DaveFred99

MWAVE isn't that far from Riverside, I remembe buying stuff from them before and they allow me to pick my items up in person. Why not give them a call and see if they can do an Exchange right there. It will save you time and frustration from having to wait around.

PS. We are SICK PEOPLE!

While "Normal" people are enjoying the Memorial Holiday in the Good-OLD-USA fashion of barbequing. We - the Overclockers - is using our time to SEE if we can PUSH our beloved CPU just another 5mhz higher!

Perhaps, we should get together in SouthernCal for a Barbequing or a contest of who can "barbeque" their CPU the most.

Goodluck

Update:
Well after reading ol,mans comments I decided to check and see if anything might be hooked up to the system that could possibly cause my cmos corruption and I found it. I had a front cooling fan plugged into the fan3 port on the mobo that has a pot to adjust the fan speed. Well I just unplugged it and the problem disapeared . No bad mobo so I am spending the day putting it all back together and reloading windows to my spare hard drive for testing. I do notice that my temps are much higer according to the bios than in my old mobo so I removeded the IHS of my 1.3 chip and made a shim by using several layers of shipping tape and cutting out the center around the chip core. It didnt make much difference. I am using a coolermaster hsf that I had used before but it only change maybe -1 or 2c in the bios. I currently am running at around 43c at 100fsb and 1.5v so it seams pretty warm. This may be why I originaly had trouble oc'ing this chip. Well I will be testing some more and see what happens.

davefred99 said:
Update:
Well after reading ol,mans comments I decided to check and see if anything might be hooked up to the system that could possibly cause my cmos corruption and I found it. I had a front cooling fan plugged into the fan3 port on the mobo that has a pot to adjust the fan speed. Well I just unplugged it and the problem disapeared . No bad mobo so I am spending the day putting it all back together and reloading windows to my spare hard drive for testing. I do notice that my temps are much higer according to the bios than in my old mobo so I removeded the IHS of my 1.3 chip and made a shim by using several layers of shipping tape and cutting out the center around the chip core. It didnt make much difference. I am using a coolermaster hsf that I had used before but it only change maybe -1 or 2c in the bios. I currently am running at around 43c at 100fsb and 1.5v so it seams pretty warm. This may be why I originaly had trouble oc'ing this chip. Well I will be testing some more and see what happens.

Holy smokes dude. 43 at default is outradeous. You are now using aluminum next to that core? That is a nono! If all you had was a aluminum HS you should not have taken the IHS off. Best get a copper slugged HS for that chip or it will never OC!

Yeah you will never get far when at default it runs at 43 deg. C. I run that with my chip @ 1.6GHz and 1.625v. ambient is around 80 deg. F too.

These chips are picky when it comes to temp and vcore or a combo of both!

ol' man said:

Holy smokes dude. 43 at default is outradeous. You are now using aluminum next to that core? That is a nono! If all you had was a aluminum HS you should not have taken the IHS off. Best get a copper slugged HS for that chip or it will never OC!

Yeah you will never get far when at default it runs at 43 deg. C. I run that with my chip @ 1.6GHz and 1.625v. ambient is around 80 deg. F too.

These chips are picky when it comes to temp and vcore or a combo of both!

Well I just don't know how to explain this but I have 3 funtional cely systems right now and the only one that gives me these kind of temperature readings is thie St6. I have swapped my 1.1a chip and my 1.3 chip into all three and the other 2 give almost the same readings and they are consistantly about 10c cooler. I have a copper Vantec 6035c with a 38 cfm fan that I tried with both chips on all three mobos and the temp is about 3-4c lower than the aluminum coolernaster hsf so the hsf is not the major contributor. So I think that some how that the temp sensors n the ST6 are reading incorrect. If I just adjust my temps down about 10c everthing seams about right.
I am currently running prime95 on the ST6/cely 1.3 @ 1521 (117fsb) and 1.5vcore. Load temps read 47c but I believe them to be around 37c. So far I have had no stability problems at all with this combo and the Memory settings all at there fastest. This is were I hit a block wall previously with this chip.

davefred99 said:

Well I just don't know how to explain this but I have 3 funtional cely systems right now and the only one that gives me these kind of temperature readings is thie St6. I have swapped my 1.1a chip and my 1.3 chip into all three and the other 2 give almost the same readings and they are consistantly about 10c cooler. I have a copper Vantec 6035c with a 38 cfm fan that I tried with both chips on all three mobos and the temp is about 3-4c lower than the aluminum coolernaster hsf so the hsf is not the major contributor. So I think that some how that the temp sensors n the ST6 are reading incorrect. If I just adjust my temps down about 10c everthing seams about right.
I am currently running prime95 on the ST6/cely 1.3 @ 1521 (117fsb) and 1.5vcore. Load temps read 47c but I believe them to be around 37c. So far I have had no stability problems at all with this combo and the Memory settings all at there fastest. This is were I hit a block wall previously with this chip.

3-4 deg. C is alot with these chips! That is about what I saw going from my retail tualatin HS to the pal6035. I culd nto get it stable with the retail sink but the pal did!

You seem to be getting a better OC this time around with that 1.3. 1521MHz is not bad for 1.5v or default. You should be about in the 1600's I woudl guess at amx OC when using a little more juice but not if you got aluminum next ot the core.

As for doubting what the st6 is saying for temps? I have had two of them and I have never had give false readings. I have never heard any of the owners here either say the st6 gave flase readings too. 37 deg. C is too cold for a coolermaster. I am sorry I just don't buy that. What are your ambient temps?

ol' man said:

3-4 deg. C is alot with these chips! That is about what I saw going from my retail tualatin HS to the pal6035. I culd nto get it stable with the retail sink but the pal did!

You seem to be getting a better OC this time around with that 1.3. 1521MHz is not bad for 1.5v or default. You should be about in the 1600's I woudl guess at amx OC when using a little more juice but not if you got aluminum next ot the core.

As for doubting what the st6 is saying for temps? I have had two of them and I have never had give false readings. I have never heard any of the owners here either say the st6 gave flase readings too. 37 deg. C is too cold for a coolermaster. I am sorry I just don't buy that. What are your ambient temps?

ol' man
I know that something is wrong with my temps because I even installed my 1.1a chip @ 1100 default voltage and the bios reads 43c when I first boot and this is with my good copper hsf and AS3 compound. ther is know way this is correct. my vh6t mobo reads 31c at boot. It is evening now and my abient room temp is around 75deg. Also when I go into MBM5 the only probe that makes sense is Windbond 2 p2 diode I think it is the proper one for the cpu as it reads the same as the bios. All of the others read weird temps one reads 127c but I cant remember which one it is the other reads 11c but never changes ???
I would generaly agree with you if it wasn't for the big difference between my other motherboards. I am not running the aluminum hsf on the 1.3 anymore I swapped it for the copper one.
Maybe the other mobos just read low or something but they have been running for several months and never seamed to show any heat related symptoms.

Actually I remember the Gigabyte XET(-C) owners commenting on the higher temperature readings as reported by the St-6....And you were one of the people on the St-6 bandwagon ol'man - Telling the XET owners that 'their' boards were reporting temps wrong!

Davefred99....The St-6 has always reported slightly higher temps than other boards but 47 degrees 'is' a little high....Is that at 1.8 volts? If so then that combined with the St-6's habbit of reporting temps slightly higher is probably what's giving you such a high reading. If it ain't crashing, don't worry about it dude....

:)

Actually I remember the Gigabyte XET(-C) owners commenting on the higher temperature readings as reported by the St-6....And you were one of the people on the St-6 bandwagon ol'man - Telling the XET owners that 'their' boards were reporting temps wrong!

Davefred99....The St-6 has always reported slightly higher temps than other boards but 47 degrees 'is' a little high....Is that at 1.8 volts? If so then that combined with the St-6's habbit of reporting temps slightly higher is probably what's giving you such a high reading. If it ain't crashing, don't worry about it dude....

well guys its comfort to know im not the only one wondering if the st6 temp sensor is incorrect cause my temp is hanging in the low of 40 to 47 for system temp and 45 to 53 for cpu temp. my is 1.1a retail on st6 1.6v overclock to 128 stable

billyhill said:
well guys its comfort to know im not the only one wondering if the st6 temp sensor is incorrect cause my temp is hanging in the low of 40 to 47 for system temp and 45 to 53 for cpu temp. my is 1.1a retail on st6 1.6v overclock to 128 stable

I am not so sure it is reporting it wrong. I have seen a good handful of mobo's that all reported temps in the same range of 38~43 deg. C @ 1500MHz @ roughly 1.7v ambient around 75 deg. F. They were not all ABITs either. The only one with really wacky temps was the gigabyte with like temps in the low 30's.

I guess maybe the gigabyte board is the right one and the rest are wrong like ASUS, ABIT, SOYO, MSI.....

Last edited:
well you could be right. it does feel hot during touch. from the feel i suppose the temp is more correct than not. the question is why my system is so high ol'man. why is yours in the 35 to 40. right now on my winbond my is 42 system and 46 cpu. it seem to be stable. is that sound right ol.man. what can i do to lower my system temp?help me:D since you are the man around here

billyhill said:
well you could be right. it does feel hot during touch. from the feel i suppose the temp is more correct than not. the question is why my system is so high ol'man. why is yours in the 35 to 40. right now on my winbond my is 42 system and 46 cpu. it seem to be stable. is that sound right ol.man. what can i do to lower my system temp?help me:D since you are the man around here

Billyhill
What probes are you using to measure your temps with, are you using mbm5. I am having trouble with my other probes in mbm5, only the diode 2 probe seams to function somewhat. So I have been checking in the bios readings. My temps are very much like yours and I have good cooling both in my case and my hsf is a copper vantec 6035 w/delta38. I am haveing no stability/heat problems so far and nothing even feels remotely hot to touch in my system. the hsf feels down right cold to touch and if I turn the machine off and remove the hsf the chip is only luke warm. So who knows why the temps seam out of range, maybe it is a bios issue. I did flash mine to the lateat one when I was having earlier problems. Like th man said if it aint crashin it aint a problem yet!

I have only played with the later revision board for like 1 week before Christmas. I got my ST6 last summer in August. I have playing with these tualatins for that long. Anyway.

Maybe the later revisions have messed up sensors. I don't know. I checked my thermistor with a manual thermometer and it was dead right on on my st6. The other ST6 was the same way. Even my ASUS mobo was right on.

You guys gotta understand these things are putting out 40~ 50+ watts and since there is no idle the temps are going to run a little hotter.

This is kind of nice though cause once you get it stable you know it should be good there as temps in the case and CPU shoudln't go up much under load!

Last edited:
Back