10 Year Badge

asus a7m266d bridge hs

Should i order a blue orb HSF to replace the HS on the mobo when it ships or order a new one?
    Crunching.for.Overclockers.com!
    Team Rank: 29th Crunchin' as JHeizer
    920 i7 @ 4Ghz 560 & 550ti | X6 MythTV MBE | 3x Atom Ion MythTV FE | Atom D2500 PFSense | E1505 C2D CARPC
    Lots of SETI Power! | Heat

Inactive Super Quad Mod donny_paycheck's Avatar
    Call me a hypocrite because I have a blorb on my GF3 GPU, but I don't care for the orbs much. Their fans aren't great in quality; single ball bearing and they come unbalanced easily. For a good nb HSF on a 760MPX board I would get a Mega Mite from 1coolPC. Northbridge cooling isn't so critical with 760MPX boards because they don't really hit extreme FSB speeds like KT266A/KT333 boards can. I would just pop the passive HS off and put some Arctic Silver on it, then put it back on.

The best thing for you to do, though, would be to get a small 40x40mm fan and attach it to the Asus passive NB HS after you put AS2/AS3 between it and and NB chip.
    Core i7 920 @ 4 GHz, 1.35v
    Corsair Nautilus 500 w/DD BIX radiator swap & Apogee GTX
    Asus P6T
    6GB Corsair Dominator
    XFX GeForce GTX 285
    WD Raptor 150GB / Hitachi 1TB
    Antec P182 / PCP&C Silencer 750
    Samsung 2232GW

Sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Just Another Retired Moderator Jon's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    I would definately just get a nice size fan for the heatsink that's already on there. It's a big one as it is and works well...much better than an orb would do, in my opinion.

I did exactly what Donny suggested and super-glued a 40mm fan to one of mine. Plenty enough cooling for all that you'll be able to overclock it.

No offence, orbs suck as a north bridge cooler. I had one, I lapped it + AS3 and it did worst than my regular one with the factory thermal pad. They dont even cover the entire chipset. Their fans aren't great either.

The factory heatsink that comes with the board + a good fan, lapped + Arctic Alumina (Highly recommended since there is electronics around the board and AS3 may shorten them if they get on it).

If your heatsink doesn't have a fan, then add one it helps!

Yodums
    Peter Gibbons: Let me ask you something. When you come in on Monday, and you're not feelin' real well, does anyone ever say to you, 'Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays'?

Lawrence: No. No, man. ****, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.