• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Uhh, guys, is this normal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repo man11

I've had my K6-2+ 600 folding protein AG29A for 24 hours, and I'm 25 percent done. Four days? I know it isn't a speed demon, but they said 24 hours a work unit for a 400 MHz P-3. I only have 64 megs of memory, and it's running Win2K pro. Would more memory help? Could the 1 meg PCI video card be slowing it down?

that sounds about right for the behemoth ag29a work unit. but, if you are running the graphical client then i would think the 1MB vidcard is not helping things. try the text-only console client version. it should help at least a little bit.

Ok, that sounds good. I assume I need to wait until this one is done to go to the other software?

repo man11 said:
Ok, that sounds good. I assume I need to wait until this one is done to go to the other software?

Thats probably safer.

As long as you keep the window minimised it shouldn't affect folding.
K6-2s are very poor folders. My Dads K6-2-250 took 2 days to do a NativeBBA5.

There are so many things holding that comp back. Off chip L2 cache at whatever speed, poor fpu, low memory with hungry OS. I believe you have nine days to finish that WU. Also if you are using cycles the client has to wait. There is really not enough information to give you an accurate answer. Fold Monitor or EMIII will give you a pretty good picture of what's happening as long as the slowdown is not coming from the client waiting for cycles, in which case the monitors will not be accurate either. Just do what you can until you can upgrade. I thought Stanford had stopped assigning monster work units to challengable CPUs.:confused: :(

No, Matthew, I don't have fold monitor, I'lll get that when I go to the text only version.
Actually JetMech, it is a plus series, so it has 128k on die L-2 cache. But it takes a hit because it is on a board with a mismatched BIOS (long story) so I did have to disable the onboard memcache to get it to work. Though it would actually be level 3 cache, it still helps.
If I have 9 days, that will be plenty of time, it looks like it will take 4 to complete it. It is now 36/100.
Anyone have some spare PC-100 for cheap? A 64 meg stick would double my folders memory.

repo man11 said:
Anyone have some spare PC-100 for cheap? A 64 meg stick would double my folders memory.
the folding client speed doesn't improve with additional RAM. you might want the memory for another reason, but if you were hoping to improve F@H performance then don't worry about it.

No, I was just hoping that it might make this thing fold faster. That is all this computer is for at this point.
I'm going to be taking off for a couple of days. This program can dial up and transmit data on its own right? I have my dial up set to auto connect.

repo man11 said:
I'm going to be taking off for a couple of days. This program can dial up and transmit data on its own right? I have my dial up set to auto connect.

it sure will, so long as your settings are set to 'no' for "Ask before connecting?"
i am unfamiliar with the graphical client,but i think you can check it by looking at the client.cfg (use Notepad) file located in the F@H directory.

Back